• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some plane old pictures

Ok, they're really old plane pictures. In my search for something old for my photo club this month I went into my wood shop and got out my antique wood planes. I was messing around with lighting and these are my favorite 2. I thought I would post something that doesn't get posted often.

020908_3176copy.jpg

021008_3205copy.jpg

That first one I took with the ISO higher by accident. I took that last night and when I processed it this morning I noticed the noise. I tried to reproduce it in a different setting today but I'll have to do it again tonight. I really like that lighting better too.

Thanks

Yakfisher, I don't mind at all that you did that. That Noise Ninja made a world of difference! Wow. Thanks alot, now I have to buy something else. \:D

I used my flash off camera for this shot. I haven't done a lot of it but it is definitely fun and challenging.

Thanks Steve and Yak!

Yak, I am using the SB800. If I remember right, you're shooting a D50 as am I. What you can do is set your camera to manual flash, then turn the flash down as low as it will go. Set your flash to SU-4. Then pop up your camera flash. The flash will fire the SB800 via the optical slave eye. The bad thing about that is when you're shooting close like I was your camera flash still contributes to the lighting in the image. I didn't want that so until I get a D80 I am using some cheap hsolist radio triggers. They work pretty well.

If you have any other questions please ask. I'm no expert but I have been messing around with it quite a bit.

Thanks

Hold down the select button for a couple seconds. Go to the square with the sqiggly lines it it and press select. highlight SU-4 then hold the select button for a couple seconds. When you have the flash off camera it should say remote. When you put it back on it should be normal. You can only use the flash in manual this way. No ttl for us off camera. You need at least a D70 or D80 for that.

Hope that helps.

I like the retake. And look at how much cheaper the retake was versus a plug in. Wish is was always that simple to get a retake. And don't scrape too much more of the character off of that board I think it really adds some amazing texture to that shot.

How much do the remote triggers go for? I think I have read some others that use them as well.

I like that shot. I like the fixed shot also. SO much it sent on a quest to download Noise Ninja during our blizzard over the weekend. Now I have something else to learn. It didn't look to hard though from the little experimenting i did last night. I noticed though that it can be over done pretty easily.

You're right, Paul. NN is pretty simple, particularly after you download the iso profiles for your camera and install them.

I do a lot of lassoing and selective NN in photoshop. In most cases, it's only the mid to darker ranges that have the most visible noise and really need the NN. Often with birds or animals I'll lasso the subject, select "inverse" to highlight everything but the subject, and then run NN on that. Doing it that way keep the subject sharp, because NN can slightly soften the look.

Paul, go to the NN Web site and find the profiles to download. There should be a category you can click on to go through them. They come with directions on how to install.

The Web site is actually called picturecode. Page down the left-hand side until you see a hot link that says: Noise profiles for cameras and scanners.