• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN Fishhouse builders underpaid !!!

tightlines

After spending the last several weekends and week nights working on a 6.5 X 14 foot shack, I can honestly say that the builders we have in the Minnesota areas are not charging enough for there efforts. It is one hell of a lot of running around for parts, planning and the actual building. I am sure that I have at least 60 hours invested and I have at least another 20 before completion. I am at least 1000 over budget. Surprised to add up all the little things like screws, caulking, nailes, glue. So next time I look at a nice shack and the builders seem to think they are worth 6000 to 9000 grand, I am thinking thats a bargain.....Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. As a matter of fact it has been fun planning and building. I will have a shack that will be the envy of my fishing buddies, and it is built to my spec's.Several of the builders gave me ideas and answered a lot of questions, and it is appreciated. Keep up the good work shack builders....

Hi Dan: I know exactly what you mean. My wife told me last night that I have way more than 60 hours invested already. Doesn't seem like it to me while I have been enjoying the project. She said that I have forgot about drive time, shopping time, mileage, etc. I am going to complete the roof this morning so can get some last season motorcycle riding in with friends today. Got a brother thats gonna help throw the strong panel on. Should make for an excellent roof.Hope to be done by noon.

It's funny how the gals always seems to notice the "little" extras. Paying real close attention lately...... must be time for a night out or something wink.gif
"Yes Dear, that hand made Afghan thingy would look good in the house......ahh, do they sell 12v lights here?"

Hey Guy's: I'm not saying that Fishouse builders are overpaid or underpaid, but you can't compare the time and effert you spend building your house to the time and effert they spend making them for sale. First, they probably have built several at a time and know just what to expect before hand. They also have all of the tools and materials on hand before they start. It's kind of, if you build another house you know how, and the learning curve is not the same. Having said that, I would opt to have one built by the experts, it probably last longer and look better too. However if you do it for the "Love of the Work" and have the time to "Do it right", then I'm all for it. I just don't have the expertise that it takes... In any case "I'll see you on the Ice", can't wait....Kaz

I'd tend to agree. From the research that I have done, many fish house builders are charging a fair price for a quality product.

Now unless a guy has a lot of free time and accees to materials at a discounted rate its going to be hard to beat the prices and products offered by many of the builders.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You can see one Premium Fish House builder that is helping tightlines build his house
by clicking here - RoadKingOutdoors.com.

They add quality materials others don't and still charge the same low prices.

Road King has longer lasting quality materials in their fish houses, for the same price as the low quality standard materials in almost all other fish houses on the market.

Get your order in today and be ready for ice fishing season. It's just around the corner now.

I think I am ready to start building a house of my own,..well sort of. I am going to purchase a bare bones house and do all the extras on my own. Does anyone have any advice, especially you Tightlines about where you are getting your materials and where you are finding the "hard to find parts". What businesses have been helpful and does Road King offer the things and services you needed?

Hey MT. You should be able to find a lot of the things you will need from places like Fleetfarm, menards, home depot etc. I found a new dinnette set cheap at an RV store. I don't know what you mean when you say bare bones. Will you be needing insulation, windows,siding,paneling, lighting,wiring etc? How much of the structure will be completed when you pick it up? BTW, the only thing I obtained from roadking was the frame. The do build one hell of a nice frame.They do sell a lot of the other things you may need at what seems to be reasonable prices. I am in the remodeling business so I got a pretty good deal on windows, door,siding, cabinets. Let me know if there is anything I can help ya with. Doug