• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Conditions in and around Detroit Lakes?

WildFan10

I will be heading up to Detroit Lakes next week and would like to get some riding in. I have a family memeber that lives in DL and he said he was able to put on 140 niles last weekend. He went north from Detroit Lakes. Can anyone give me an update? Has there been much snow up there in the last few weeks to at least keep the trail in decent shape? Any info. would help. Thanks.

not much snow since early december. Things were looking bleak not very long ago with the warm weather. Many of the south and west facing slopes were getting pretty bare. The areas in the woods were not faring to bad from the sun, but the lack of snow makes it difficult to keep the trails in decent shape. Many of the groomers in the area stated theat they are not going to go out until we got some snow.

I would think after the blizzard here this morning, that some of the snow may get redistributed, hopefully some of it will end up on the trails. If you're looking to trail ride, go to the north and east of DL, try and stay in the woods. Other go west and ditch bang, there should be plenty of pow in there now.

Hey Deadhead, how much snow did you guys get out of that blizzard this morning? They were saying you guys might get a couple of inches out of the deal? I suppose it's hard to say if it is really blowing around on there. Thanks for the report above. From the sounds of it, we can probably get some riding in atleast.

Finally some good news. The National Weather Service and broadcast media have forecasted between 1-3" of snow for tomorrow (Monday). Of course, I'll believe it when I see it, but this has been the highest amount of snowfall that has been forecasted since early December. I'll post an update after I'm done riding tomorrow ;\)

In Otter Tail Co. the groomers hit the trails real good before the last warm-up hit. That warm spell killed the trails, and enough for the local kids to stop riding...that tells ya something. ;\)

Haven't seen a sled run the trail near my place in over 2 weeks. All we need is a couple inches and that will make a difference. We're lucky to have received about an inch since Saturday. Come on snow!

Ooh I feel for you Chuck. I took a chance and went up to my place (near McGregor) and found pretty decent riding and VERY few riders out. A friend and I rode from McGregor area to Hill City, over to Jacobson, to Goodland, up to Pengilly, then down to Alborn, Floodwood and back home. Just short of 250 miles on Saturday. When we left it was 20 degrees, when we got back to the cabin it was 5 below. Sounded like it wasn't gonna get any warmer so we loaded up and went home. If you want to get some riding in, all I can tell you is to "head east", its worth the drive.

They were very smooth, had a little more than an inch of fresh snow, and I got my best mileage ever. The Rabey and the Alborn are both old RR grades so we made "good time" on those.

My biggest day ever was 375.....a very long day, but that was when I was a bit younger, there were no speed limits, gas was cheaper........ \:o and even though I don't drink, I must have thought I was indestructable.

Thanks for the reports guys! That sucks all you got were some flurries! I figured that would happen. Deadhead, please post when you know about the snow for Thursday...4" would look great on those trails. Would you guys say most of the trails, even north of DL a ways aren't worth riding on? I'll wait for an update on the snow!!

i was looking forward to riding fresh pow, but my battery was still zapped; couldn't get the sled started to ride home. I'll have to work on it tomorrow and see if I need a new battery. I'd say we have at least 3-4" by now.