• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burntside Lake and Photoshop CS2

Hey all:

Because laker fishing was so slow on Saturday and Monday, and because business has been slow since, I had time to both capture a few images and experiment with them. grin.gifgrin.gif

The first is of a typical Bside laker fishing scene, where a fella is set up close to shore but where the water's probably 60 feet deep. Standard shot that illustrates our wonderful life up on the edge of the Canadian Shield.

The second shot is also a very typical windswept Burntside image, with the sun off camera mostly obscured by mist but offering enough light to find detail in the shadows. I worked in CS2 to give this a watercolor feel, edging toward the abstract.

I rarely look for critiques, but in this case I'd really like to know whether you like the second image, and specifically why you do or why you don't.

angler-scene.jpg

trees-watercolor.jpg

When I scrolled down to the second image, it kind of took me off guard. It appeared as though the evergreens in the foreground really stood out as if they were from a totally separate photo. The faded out background really makes them "jump out" of the picture.

As always, nice work Steve.

Steve,

I like the effect and you've done it well. The three dimensional look is great. Being just a little picky, the foreground part is a little too square for me. Almost would have liked to see a peak in the middle on the left hand side, maybe even traveling above the background just a little. Certainly an effect worth experimenting with.

Ken

Thanks, everybody.

The effect was achieved using the filters-watercolor option in CS2 and then adjusting slightly so it looked right to my eye. The background was much more faded than the foreground island in the original, but not quite to the degree that it's see here.

I head you on the squareness, Ken. It actually was one of the things that attracted me initially. All those white pines seem pretty much exactly the same age.