• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pushing a plow with a 400cc

Mnfisher

It was a bad one alright! It was just ONE of the problems I had with it! It was a 1996 Sportsman 400. I've got several friends that "had" popo's to, and they are as convinced as I'am to their "quality".

I purchased a 1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 while I was selling my popo. This was a gear driven ATV. I would have never known how much more I liked the automatic tranny over a gear shifter, until I tried it. It's nice to go into the mud or deep snow and let the automatic choose your gear, instead of downshifting like a madman to try to keep your forward progress going.

I was a little leary of belt drives myself, but my last 3 wheelers have had belt drives (1998 Yamaha Grizzly 600-2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660-2005 Suzuki Kingquad 700). I have slipped the belts on all of them from extreme conditions like pulling tree's that are actually to big to pull with an ATV, and pulling a HEAVY trailer full of oak firewood that a truck should have pulled. I like to play! \:D All of the machines had the original belt on them for the life of the wheeler while I owned it (2000 miles or so). I'am pretty confident in belts now that I've put them through my own torture test. whistle.gif

I have a Honda Rancher 350 and it pushes the 60" plow no problem. Like others said, traction is the biggest problem. I think the convenience of an automatic would be nice, but the towing ability of my Rancher is phenomenal.

FLaker

I bought a 2008 Yamaha Big Bear 400 and it has all the balls you will need to plow snow . I'm very satisfied with its power to move the white stuff .It's a semi automatic and exactly what I wanted and although slower than other 400 cc bikes it makes up by having great low end torque and true 4 wd drive when you lock the differentials in .

TD