• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter shelters

kb1965

Has anyone tried to insulate there otter sleds and shelters in anyway? I am toying with the idea of going to the local fabric store and buying thinsulate, like in flannel shirts, and using a spray on adhesive to glue it onto the shell with. Not sure how well the glue will hold with the temp. changes though. I figured thinsulate wouldn't add to much weight to the fishhouse so it would still be easy enough to haul around but it would make it alot warmer for the all day fishing trips this winter.

Kevin

Moisture buildup is a problem with thinsulate. Good if you dry it out after EVERY use but thats not realistic. On a week long trip it could be tuff to open your house after it sits in the back of the truck overnight. Bank the house up good and get a good safe heater. Be carefull not to make it air tight though, leave a door or window open a crack. You probably already knew that though.

Canvas Craft out of Anoka/Ramsey on hiway 10 has the insulated otter skin...have heard good and bad about it. The skin is expensive, and if it gets cold out with a heater going the thinsulate between the fabric gets wet and mold can form within the fabric if not completly dried out after use.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I've been out in some of the coldest weather with my Otter Lodge. With good banking and a decent heater, I've always been comfortable in it.

For me, I just don't see the need to carry the extra items or weight around or the extra hassle trying to dry out insulation when I've always been comfortable in my Otter.

The Otters are well built units. They have flaps to bank on top of. If you don't have snow, just use the chips drilled out of your ice holes.

Again, I don't think you will have a problem being comfortable in your Otter with a good heater.

One thing that I did for my buddies house was to build him a hinged wood floor that would cover the ice(this way it would fold up). He stayed in the house over night and wanted to keep the heater on low so he wouldn't use to much propane and didn't want to wear his coveralls while he slept. This made the house considerably warmer but does create more to carry around. If you want to make the house warmer you need to cover the ice with something. The canvas itself will do an excellent job of keeping things warm so there really isn't much need to insulate that. Most of the cold comes from the ice.

I put down a piece of carpet for under my feet and try to bank the house real good. Problems come mostly from any drafts & having ice for a floor.
I have used a 9V hand held fan in my Otter to stir up the hot air... which rises. This circulates the heat some and helps out on cold toes.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

I have carpet on the bottom of the sled already, I bank as much as possible, snow permiting, and I made a hinged floor to cover the ice. Biggest problem I have is how drafty it is on colder days. What type of heaters would you recommend? I currently use a sunflower.