• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Veteran's Day 11-11, and National Veteran's week

Chris Haley

I'm a first gulf war vet, and when I came back to the states everyone at the airport wanted to shake my hand and buy me drinks. As great as this felt, I couldn't help but feel sick at the fact that some of these people may have spit on vietnam vets coming back. I want to take my hat to the guy's that fought that war and say thank you for your sacrifice and I'm sorry for the ***holes that treated you the way they did!! These guy's pulled the double duty, they had to fight a war abroad and come home and fight the attitudes of people too gutless to truly appreciate the cost of freedom.

Another note, we fight abroad so someday you don't have to wake up to tanks rolling through YOUR frontyard.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 11-10-2003).]

Yesterday, my 6 year old daughter asked me what Veteran's Day was.

I explained to her that we paused to remember the soldiers who fought and gave their lives so that we can enjoy the freedom we have today.

She said she would be really sad if I went away and died in a war.

I gave her a hug and explained that unfortunately there are a lot of sad children in the world today.

We can never let our children forget what these brave men and women did for us and I would like to use this space to personally thank all the veterans who read this board for their courage and sacrifices for us.

Thank-you.

Thanks for the post.

Mostly, thanks for the men and women who have given us our freedom.

Sgt. Gary Wellman
4th Sqdn, 6th US Cavalry.
"Night Riders"

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

This is something I hold dearly in my heart as part of my unit is currently on rotation in Egypt and the rest of my unit is on their way for a rotation in Afghanistan. Its only a matter of time before I will be sent overseas to to support my country but I will go proudly knowing that I am supporting the greatest country in the world!

Let us never forget those soldiers that have given the ultimate sacrafice for their country and remember that our country would not be what it is today without them.

2LT Shane M. Hunter
1-133 Infantry

[This message has been edited by NEIAIceMan (edited 11-10-2003).]

The purpose of Veterans Day is to celebrate and honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

President Woodrow Wilson declared Nov. 11, 1919 as Armistice Day -- a national holiday to celebrate victory in "the war to end all wars."

In 1954, Armistice Day was re-named as Veterans' Day, a tribute to all the men and women who have defended the cause of freedom around the world.

Every year the President of the United States urges all Americans to honor the commitment of veterans through appropriate public ceremonies.
Please take a moment of silence at 11:00 am on November 11th to remember those who died and those who are still living that served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served have sacrificed and done their duty.

Additional information about Veteran's Day can be found at the following sites:
Department of Veteran's Affairs

Origins of Veteran's Day - VFW

------------------
[email protected]
My Hunting and Fishing page