• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Riggin your ATV....

bklimek

....for icefishing. I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to "pimp" out my 4 wheeler for icefishing. I believe they make a yolk for one's auger. Does anyobdy have any idea on this. Also I have a FishTrap Pro. I would like to put that on the back rack somehow. I want to be able to run and gun. I don't want to pull it behind my ATV and have stuff bang around. Do they make a rack or something that fastens a Trap down sturdy. Any ideas and thoughts are much appreciated.
Butch

Well after making the decision to become more portable and sell my Ultra Shack, which is still available by the way, I too am interested in how to rig up my wheeler to haul all my gear on it instead of behind it.

The stuff just takes a beating if dragged behind the ATV and I would much rather have it all on-board.

I have a fish trap guide, which might be a bit big to fit on the ATV, but I think we should be able to come up with something to fit it on the ATV. In terms of the auger, Otter makes a really cool tube like holster that fits on the ATV, much like the gun racks for hunting.

Artic Cat has been playing in this market a lot lately with tons of accessories for every activity under the sun! Would be interested to see if they might have some ideas.

Might be worthwhile searching the ATV forum too, there might be some interesting ideas in there also.

Dave, you out there? Do you have any ideas?

I've made a rack for carrying my Otter. Dave has the pictures, but needs to find a way to post them.

I also made a bucket rack out of PVC that does double duty in elk camp hauling four six gallon water jugs.

The rack for carrying the Otter works quite well, but caution needs to be used when loading/unloading from a truck, as the center of gravity is moved aft. A ditch embankment works very well for loading and unloading.

To carry an auger get either Ryan Yoke available through USL. (The fish trip people. They have a warehouse in Plymouth to pick them up. I have the these on my ATV. I tried the ones you can get at Cabela's mounted one side and did not like them so I took it off. You can purchase a reciever hitch and mount that to the back of your ATV and get a luggage carrier that sides in to the reciever. I throw my trap on it and with one bungie off I go. I have aguger on the Ryan yoke on the front. This so far is the best I have found to carry my stuff without getting all beat up.

Fishing Is Hot, hope the Otter Sled Seats are working out for you. It's fun trying to figure out new ways to rig the wheelers for hard water. I've got the wheels turning in my head and have come up with a few other ideas. Once I have all of the bugs worked out I'll send you an E-Mail.

I haven't been thinking about ice fishing and just decided to check in here.....Looks like you guys are doing pretty good in keeping the ideas flowing.

I too am getting the itch, July 14th only, its not that I dislike summer, would just like the lakes to ice over, anyways, last year was the first season with an ATV. Bought an Arctic Cat 400i with the MRP Rack (nice machine by the way). Purchased a large box for the back rack and a windshield for the front. Everything loose (vex, poles, tackle, heater, etc) fits nicely in the box, hand auger (Arm Strong) fits in a simple rack that I made on the front and my minnows are placed in the MRP Bucket Holder that I purchased from the dealer (attached to the rear right side (no splashes on me). When needed I do pull the Fish Trap Pro but with nothing loose to get banged around inside. Works wonderfully and is nice to have everything ready to go on the 4 wheeler.
Large box $150 from Cabella's
Windshield $90 from Arctic Cat ($$ but worth)
MRP bucket holder $40 from AC ($$ but again)

I don't run an ATV but hey, If you guys are talking Ice Fishing, I'm jumping in the conversation. grin.gif I too am getting the hard water bug. Something about this 80 degree weather makes me wish for some snow and a nice 10 degrees outside. No bugs, less traffic, sounds good to me. I have already seen the new fish traps for the 2003-2004 season, and have also been on the phone with otter to see what types of changes they will be making. Swung by thorne bros. the other day too to see if they display their ice rods in the summer, sure enough.

O.K. Think cold.

thinking about selling the big fishhouse,starting a smaller one and now im getting the bug to get it done. just may have to sit in it and wish for cold. the neigbors may think i am a little short of a full load. i even got the butt bridge done for the otter, sure a good thing that work is slow so i can get the important things done

[This message has been edited by hawkeye43 (edited 07-15-2003).]

Every number I have tried for Ryan's Yoke or Rack is not in service. It was suggested to try a search on Yahoo for Ryans Racks which
were made in Lindstrom MN. They must have folded since no one in Lindstrom has heard of them. I guess I'll just have to keep searching. Thanks for the suggestions.

The best thing you can do to your ATV for ice fishing, is putting studs in your tires! I just use regular hex heads from the hardware store. You wouldn't believe the difference, especially if you're pulling your shelter through snow.