• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12 volt outlet on sled

caughtacase73

I am considering the purchase of my first sled. I will be using the sled for ice fishing. Mostly scouting and them pulling my kids to and from the ice shack. My financial advisor (wife) won't authorize the purchase of a wheeler. I am looking at a 91 indy 488. From the reading I have done the indy 488 seems like a decent and durable sled. I would like to mount and power my h2oC and not have to carry 10 pounds of extra AA batteries. Can a 12 volt outlet be added to a sled and be powered by the sled? Or would I be better off mounting a vexlar type battery and just charge that every so often.

Thanks for the good reading and any info and advice.

Travis

Ski Doo has a 12V outlet kit for their sleds. I put one on my sled, but it does have electric start (ie: battery). I need to figure out how to re-wire it since wired per the instructions, it only works when the sled is running. I want to power a 12V fluorescent light for my fish house and would not like to have the sled running.

If you dont have a battery, it depends on what you are going to power with it. Lights and warmers do not need a stable "clean" voltage to work, most electronics do. You can add an outlet for those if you also add a rectifier (and ideally) a small Vex type battery to stabalze the voltage. Otherwise, I would think most sled makers would sell a kit to convert it.

If the sled does not have a starting battery, definitely mount a 12V gel cell battery under the hood somewhere and simply wire it to a cigarette plug. Mount the cig plug on the dashboard with a couple screws and you are in business.

I mounted a small battery on top of my belt guard shield. No problems as long as it's secured.

Don't try to wire anything to the sled without a constant 12V source, or you will likely damage the electronics you plug into it.