• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early ice out???

what do you guys think of catching crappies right after ice is out? Want to try it this year but not sure whether or not to go? Any luck with you guys??

I had a blast last year right after ice out. I got out the same week the ice went, I remember it was snowing while I was fishing, but it was worth it. I found the crappies to be holding in the same areas that they were during late ice. Give it a try, I know I'll be out soon after the ice is.

Where do you guys think the crappies would be holding right after ice out? We have lost 15-20" of ice over the last 2 weeks over in the U.P. Still have about 16". Hope it doesn't go out too fast, still want to get a weekend or two in yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Most of the Metro lakes and ponds have anywhere from 25-75% ice free (depending on size..) I wouldn't walk on any. I've caught crappies as early as one week after ice out; but not before. Than again; I've never had a boat out that early either; it's been from shore. The smaller ponds and lakes should produce action earlier for Crappies than the bigger ones.

Right after iceout I concentrate on the same deep water areas that I was fishing mid to late winter until I notice a decline in the average size of my catch. When the fish start getting smaller, I start going shallower.

Alot of times Crappies will then stage at the 1st major breakline or weed edge adjacent to the shallow water areas. They may be hugging the bottom or hiding in the cover of weeds and can be more difficult to detect with electronics.

If you fish a lake that has some shallow, dark bottomed nooks and crannys, these are also good areas for iceout Crappies usually, providing there was at least 3 days of stable warm weather following ice-out.

Crappies will make a shallow water "feed" run into mud and dark bottomed bays, backwaters, and deeper feeder cricks when the surface temp reaches about 44 degrees typically. Any cold front or major weather change will push the fish back out though, typically to the first primary breakline, usually in about 6-12 feet of water.

The fish will probably be in a nuetral to negative mood after a major front until weather stabalizes for at least a couple of days.

But those deep basin areas will see fish suspended and typically active right after iceout, and their dictation as to how long they stay out there is completly weather pending. As a matter of fact, I still find that I am getting fish in 20-30 feet of water even while I am finding numbers of fish in the 2-6 foot range.

When fishing these deep water, or even shallow water post ice Crappies, I stay with the same small lures I used at last ice, and tip them with small minnows or worms.

After the Crappies are done with the intial shallow water "feed binge" they will usually move back to the 1st primary breakline adjacent to these areas again until water temps sustain at about 55 degrees.

At this point they move into more firm bottom areas such as reed beds and shallow, gritty bottomed weed flats and humps where bottom content is consistent and more favorable with habitat that is condusive for bed making and spawning.

When water temps reach approx. 64 degrees the Crappies will typically begin spawning and can become very easy to catch. This is when a good pair of polarized sunglasses on a calm day can make a spring day of fishing a real treat.

Remember the males are the ones that make and guard the beds, and the females only move in for a day or so to "dump" the eggs, after which they return to the deeper weeds to recover.

The female fish are typically the bigger Crappies, but can have a severe case of lockjaw until the recovery process is complete.

The males, however, are guarding the beds and can be easy to find and will eat anything in sight as a defense against the nest. Sight fishing this time of year is a blast, and can help you learn how the Crappies react to certain presentations etc.

Remeber, Catch and Release is always important but more critical at this time of year.

Good luck and Best Regards

-----------------
Fish On! Net it!! cool.gif