• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just wondering if anyone does any ice fishing out in the Hills. I go to school at BHSU and brought my ice gear out and was just wondering if im not the only one trolling the boards that ice fishes in the Hills.

Dan Brelje,

I live in Spearfish (moved here 2 years ago from Owatonna, MN). I was out last winter ice fishing a dozen times. I have two boys (ages 12 & 9) and we hit Sheridan, Iron Creek Lake, Newell, Orman, Deerfield and Pactola last winter.

Would be happy to plan a trip to one of the lakes this winter if you are interested.

Really? How'd did you guys do, generally speaking?? My girlfriend and I take a trip out to her parents place every winter in the hills and ice fishing has been very spotty for me... I tried Sheridan last year hoping for Trout and only got 2 perch! Any general tips to maybe get a trout or 2?? Its not about the size or keeping them of course, but its so much fun getting something new through the icE!!

I usually make 4-5 trips out to the Hills every year...though I fish one lake almost exclusively! Sheridan can be tough for trout- though the average fish there is much larger than other lakes.

If you want to catch trout - find a steep drop-off and fish deep. The trout I usually target are suspended over 60-70 feet of water in mid-winter. I usually fish with light line and a small shiny lure tipped with a waxie. Average days go 60-70 fish, my best day ever was 200 trout between 7:30am-2:00pm.

Also, don't be afraid to try creeks on warm days. You have to be stealthy because the water is really clear, but the brookies especially really school up in the winter.