• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SLR to DSLR

With all the great pictures and all the photo banter going on in here I may have to take the plunge to the DSLR.

I have a Canon SLR with a 75-300mm with a 2x converter that I used to plink around with. I have always enjoyed photographing nature and would like to get into it more again. My question is, can I use my old glass with the new DSLR body until I can get some extra coin for some good glass or are they not compatible? This may help with my decision going with Nikon or the Canon.

I have a Nikon digital point and shoot that I have enjoyed but you guys and gals have really got me revved up about photography again.

Thanks for all the great pictures and information everyone has contributed to the board.

The only thing that I can say is be careful. The digital is so much better because you can shoot and shoot and if they stink just delete them and start over. The down side is that most of your equipment will not work or will be limited to manual mode. The upside is that now you have control of your post processing of photos and there is lots of freeware that is available. The reason I say to be careful is that you will want to get better glass and no matter what it is still a investment to acquire GOOD glass. I had a Minolta that was a super camera in its time that was almost worthless now and none of the lenses would work or convert to digital.

Nymph, it depends on how old your lens is.

Some film-era Canon lenses work perfectly on digital bodies, while others do not. Please post the exact model Canon lens, with all the numbers and letters (not just the 75-300) and we'll be able to tell you.

If it's an EF lens (autofocus) odds are it will work. Not always, but usually.

You will likely lose autofocus with that lens and the TC unless you buy a top-end Canon body. Any digital Canon body below the "1" series will only autofocus lens/tc combos with a max aperture of f5.6, and almost certainly your zoom and the TC (the 2X automatically stops down your aperture two full stops, turning an f4 lens into an f8 lens) will not open wide enough for autofocus. But even that's not for sure. Some of the middle and lower quality TCs do not report data to the camera, so the camera does not realize the aperture is too small and will go ahead and autofocus it.

Lots to think about. Just let us know the exact lens designation and we can go from there. Especially let us know which film body you've been using and how old the lens is.

I'm not the poster you responded to but I, like them, have been thinking of also recycling a 35mm package I've not used in awhile in favor of going digital. Perhaps I might ask the same question of you? I've got a Canon EOS RebelG,(52mm lens mount)with a Canon 35-80mm zoom EF 1:4-5.6 and a Tokina AF 28-210mm 1:3.5-5.6. Would these lenses work with a Canon Digital SLR in the 6 to 8mp range?

Thanks to you in advance and I enjoy looking at yours, and the other recurring posters, work on this forum.

CF, I don't know how old they are. That makes a difference.

When I went digital from my film EOS Elan IIe, one of the lenses I gave away was that same Canon 35-80. I gave it to my step-daughter, who now shoots it on a Digital Rebel XT and it works just fine. I don't know about newer digital bodies like the XTi, 30D and 40D. Fewer of the older non-Canon lenses will work with the new digital bodies, so the Tokina is a bit more iffy, but if I had to guess I'd say it will work.

I have the Canon T70. The lens is a ProSpec with a Tokina EL 2x converter. Not sure what numbers you are looking for on them. They have a diameter of 50mm if that helps. I am just looking to use these until I can get some good glass.

The outfit is probably 20 years old.

It's no prob, man. That's why I'm here.

If you don't mind a trip into the Twin Cities, you should bring the lenses into West Photo or National Camera, tell them you're planning to buy a Canon DSLR and try the lenses on the camera body. Then you'll know for sure, and it'll give you a better sense of what you will or won't have to spend (in terms of lenses) when you buy the body.

It also helps to get those bodies in your hands and see how they fit you. For example, the XT/XTi is VERY small in my hands, even with the added battery grip. The 20D/30D/40D series is a lot more comfortable for me, though I use the XT as a backup quite often.

I had that lens for awhile and liked it. Unfortunately is wasn't fast enough for shooting sports inside so I traded it in on an upgrade to an "L" lens. The dealer was happy to get it because it is a popular lens and he didn't think it would take long to sell it. \:\)