• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat Advise

fishinalot

Hello

I have decided on getting a new boat this year. Not because I have money, but because I need to for the family.

I have a 94' Alumacraft backtroller 16' with a 40 merc and it not only trolls down great for walleye or crappies, it also has enough power to plane out when we are in Canada with 1000 lbs of gear in it.

I'm looking for any reccomendations for Lunds, alumacrafts, or Crestliner 16-17' rigs that might match up to what I have, and what motors would perform better. For example Merc 4 stroke Versas Evenrude E-techs.

Any pros with some information on the rig I need would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I'd go to the Mpls Boat show in a couple weeks. You'll be able to look at all of the above brands and do some comparisons.

I wouldn't lose sleep over any brand of motor, however, if you but a Lund or Crestliner it will pretty-much need to be a Merc or Honda (both good motors).

Alumacraft also makes nice boats, which you can hang any brand of motor on.

If you're looking for a family boat, I would consider going for at least a 17', if not 18'.

Lund added to the pro-guide line up of boats this year to include a 1675, a 1725, and a 1825. Depending on the size of the family the 17 or 18 would be a good choice. If I were in the market for a new boat, the 1725 with a 75 hp 4 stroke would be the one for me. I would prefer the 2010 Predator, but that is quite some time off. For the motor, to me it would be between a Merc and the Yamaha. I like the Yamaha because of the variable RPM trolling switch, really will let you dial in a trolling speed.

There are plenty of different options out there that will fit your needs though, and as Shorelunch said, head down to the boat show in two weeks at the Minnapolis Convention Center and look at them all in one place. You could even find a great deal down there.

By the way, my grandpa has the same boat as your current boat and I loved fishing out of it the few times I have been able to do so.

I really don't need a big rig. I'm looking to stay with a 16' only because most the time we fish 2-3 people. But I do want to pull the kids on tubes, which the 40 merc did do.

I'm just trying to set up a 16' with a motor that might troll down like the merc 40 but have a little more power. The merc on a calm day will troll down th 1.5 mph with the GPS.

I wouldn't mind sticking with a tiller. I have gone to the boat show, but it seems the salesmen down there will tell you anything you want to hear for the sale. A few years ago a buddy of mine bought a 40 merc that the salesmen said would plane out the Alumacraft Competitor. It did plane it out until he filled the livewell and added a fishing partner in the boat.

Thats why I'm asking the guys here for first hand experience. I'm leaning towards a 16' Crestliner Fishhawk or the Lund 16'. I'm not sure if a 50 or 60 e-tech or a 60 4-stroke.

Has anyone had eny experience the the e-techs?

I don't have any experience with E-Tecs, although I prefer DFI motors (ie. Optis or Etecs) for "big" motors that you don't fish with (ie. like the main motor on a console boat, paired with a 4-stroke kicker). But if I was looking at a boat/motor combo like you're looking at, there's no question that I'd go with a 4 stroke motor. You'll likely be giving up a little holeshot power with a 4-stroke, but holeshot shouldn't be your primary concern in a boat like that. And if you want more pop out of the hole you can prop for it. Good luck, I hope this helps.

I bought a 17'fishhawk last year and love it! I looked at Lund, Alumacraft and Crestliner for a few years before I bought mine. They are all good boats and Minnesota made, I felt for the money that Crestliner was the best value, comperable options in a Lund was 2k-3k more and Alumacraft didn't have the storage. I put a 90 opti on and it will do 40mph which is plenty but I can only get it down to about 3 mph for trolling so consider a 4 stroke possibly. If the rig comes with a wireless motorguide trolling motor switch it out, they are junk and they don't stand behind their product. Just my two cents and good luck!

Your right. I was comparing lots of boats yesterday. These were Alumacraft packages, not crestliner.

Has anyone had experience with a Yamaha 50 2-stroke. Because the packages had this motor on the 165 Alumacraft tillers and consoles. I don't think its a bad price of 12,500 if the motor has enough power for the rig and also trolls down.

Thanks

A 50 hp 2 stroke yamaha is a good motor that trolls down pretty well. Not as smooth as a fourstroke, but you're also typically able to get to a slighly lower idle speed with a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke due to less spinning mass needed to keep the 4 stroke running.

Sounds like a pretty decent package that should perform pretty well!

marine_man

fishinalot we put quite a few Yamahas on Lunds and Crestliners

We simply take the Mercury in trade as a person has only that choice and rerig ignition ,gauge harneses,shift box etc,

Its getting quite common for some people to still get the kind of power they want on a boat,and on the tiller models its very low hour switch out.It is not a major obstacle on steering boats either.

The franchised dealers for lund and crestliner cant legally do this as it sorta blows the contract agreement they sign to be a Brunswick dealer,but we are not a Brunswick dealer.

It is a fun switch and I even did my boat last year 20 foot Alaskin dual console,put on Yamaha 115 4 stroke

This year when my 20 foot glass Lund gets here it will be repowered with a big Yamaha,and I already have a home for the mercury we take off.

yes there are plenty of places to get Yamaha,Suzuki,Evinrude motors on boats.

fishinalot

it looks like you are finding some good pricing on new or newer boats in the 12,500 1nd above price

You may really like the 60 4 stroke for all around use

simply have the dealer show you how to change the propeller and inform you on RPMs to watch with smaller prop you will use for extra weight on your Canada trips

Glad to see that in the 16 foot range boats are available new at a very decent price

Alumacraft seems to give out a chance at brands of motor options

They also now have a broader market and higher sales than Lund or Crestliner

Shop hard as somewhere out their a boat that will fit your needs is lurking

I like the 4 stroke better than 2 stroke but they may cost more and do rquire maintenence that 2 strokes dont.

It sounds like you explore options so I would imagine maintenence is something you would also put your heart into

good luck

My dad runs a Alumacraft Navigator 165CS with a 60 Suzuki 4-stroke on it. I have run the boat a fair amount and it is a nice setup for what you specified. It has a nice hole shot, trolls down well, pulls the kids on wake board, tubes, and knee boards. Very easy on gas and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. He looked at Lund and Crestliner as well and this boat seemed to fit his needs the best.

With almost any boat there is going to be some form of compromising, but you will find something that should fit most of your needs. Good luck with your search.

oil and filter change and a factory recomended check after so many hours

after the first check by garage they usally only need oil change

i recomend oil change annually

This is something you may be able to do

ask dealer to train you on oil anf filter change or make sure they throw in 2 seasons of things shown here when you purchase

Lots of people want a graph or partial cost of trollong motor etc thrown in ,be wise and get the maintenence thrown in instead

get it in writing

you will do OK

fishinalot - did you decide anything? I really like the looks of the crestliner fishhawk 16s and 17s, especially for the price with the 50s on it, but was concerned a bit about performance, speed, etc out on bigger water. Being able to idle down to trolling speed is a nice option though an curious if you figured out the slowest you can go with the 50 on a 16? Is there a lot more storage on the 1750, looks like it per the brochure. But that puts you in a lot bigger motor plus likely needing a kicker for trolling.

Map,

There is a TON more storage in the 1750 then the 1600 or 1700. The nice thing about the 1750, is it has the middle rod storage, and huge storage in the front of the boat. But if rod storage is not that big of a deal for yourself, then the 1700 and 1600 is perfect boats. The 1700 run 90's on them, and you can run a 90 or 115 on the 1750.