• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracks vrs wheels??

BLACKJACK

Theres another post showing a guy with his new ATV with tracks, I did't want to hijack his thread but as a guy thats been lusting after a four wheeler, mainly for ice fishing and WILL buy one someday, I had some questions:

1) How deep of snow can you go thru with a tracked ATV vrs a wheeled ATV?

2) How hard is it to change back and forth between tracks and wheels?

3) Why can't you just run the tracks year around?

4 Would a ATV with wheels and chains be just as good as an ATV with tracks?

Any other pros and cons on tracks would be nice.

Thanks!

1) Depending on the snow the tracks will push you thru anything as long as the machine does not get hung up, some track kits give you more ground clearance than others.

2)Once the initial install of the tracks is done a swapout can take 1hr+ depending on various things.

3)Some tracks can be ran all year, however it is not legal to do so utside of private property.

4)a tracked wheeler will typicall go more places than an atv with tires/chains.

Pro's/Con's

Cost of tracks vs tire chains.

adds additional weight

increased ground clearance and wide footprint make for a more stable machine

tracked atv has a less "plush" ride.

I would recommend a larger cc atv with tracks as they typically will reduce total speed by estimated 35%.

a tracked atv will throm more snow on the machine and driver than what tires will.

I am sure some others with more experience with tracks will chime in with their thoughts. I have only had tracks for a month, I had them on my 500 and then upgraded to an 800.

Any other questions I would be more than happy to help.

what fishy said.

Pluss a few more. CONS

If you get your machine stuck, or it quits on you with tracks.... Hope you have a lunch packed... I know a guy who got his machine (same set up as mine) stuck in the mud... 3 grown men 2 wheelers with winches and a few hours later they were out. The stator died on me early this winter (my Fault) and it was a bit of work getting my machine back into the garage.

A possibilty to toss a track I havent, have heard of it though.

If you stop someplace with your machine in tow, add some extra time for the stop. People always show up and ask questions and "tire kick".

It requires more upper body strenght then tires.

A larger turning radius also.

It may be harder to get it over fallen tree's.

Yo u lose top end speed.

Pro's

You gain low end grunt.

Lower center of gravity

"treads more lightly"

Harder to get stuck (lighter foor print.

As for tracks V chains. Tracks will win hands down all the time except if we are talking on ice. Chains will hook up 100% of the time better.

The only other CONS I can think of are if the ice heaves, the tracks slip under the ice. Same type of deal trying to go over fallen trees. The track wedges under and can't get on top.

Quote:

If you stop someplace with your machine in tow, add some extra time for the stop. People always show up and ask questions and "tire kick".

I have found this too be true, even from other Tracked owners as there are so many different models. I usually let my unexpecting guests head to the truck first tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: lancer
I am also thinking about purchasing tracks eventually and was concerned about power loss. I have a 2007 rancher 400AT, would this machine have enough power to use tracks?

I wouldn't waste the money on tracks for a machine under 700 cc's. I had them on a 500 and it bogged the machine way down.