• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with my 1980 Enticer

krats

I am having some trouble with my ET340 Enticer. It is starting hard but once it is running it seems to run fine until it heats up. Then while you are driving along it will just cut out and die. Then I have to pull and pull to get it started again or let it cool down and then it will start.

I just had the carburator redone so I think that it is an electrical problem but I am not sure where to start looking for the problem. It has new plugs in it too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Good old sled! I learned to ride snowmobiles on my friends dads pair of 1980 Enticer 340 deluxes. Two years ago my friend combined the 2 for 1 good one. It is mint with all new stainless steel nuts and bolts.

Anyways, my suggestion is to check for spark when it dies on you. Pull the plug and set it on the cylinder head cover and check for a strong spark. I had a Polaris that did the same thing. It would just shut off when it was hot. Turned out to be a bad CDI/Ignition box. If you have a weak spark or no spark, try a different cdi box. There is one on the big auction HSOforum for your machine for $20. Worth a shot to me, but I tend to throw parts at things without fully diagnosing them. But it would be worth the $20 gamble. Good Luck!

I love the Enticer -- what a QUICK sled that was and light as heck. That brings back some great memories and some not so good. It is still the QUICKEST sled I have been on.

I remember when my Bro-in-law had the throttle cable stuck on it and he bailed on it and it zipped across the yard, took out part of the mailbox and went another 50 feet until it got stuck in a snow bank -- a tether would have been nice that day. crazy.gif

If you have spark its notthe cdi, either the cdi works or it doesnt, they dont slowly go out... It sounds electrical though, Id try unplugging your kill switch andsee if it runs better, these have been a big culprit of your symtoms.

These guys will have the answer http://www.snowmobileforum.com/

You may need to check the carb boots and make sure they are not cracked. Then check if there is an electrical plug in for the throttle sticking, some may have had it. My 90 Exciter does. Un plug it and make a jumper wire to short it out so you will have spark again. Again I'm not sure yours will have that but they did put them on back then. Also check the thumb throttel and make sure the pivet isn't frozen it is also a kill switch if frozen and will do funny things if not free moving.

And last but not least check for the crank seals leaking it really sounds to me that thats your problem. Look for leaking oil frof around the crank by the clutch. You won't see behind the flywheel. The seals dry out and leak air lean out the engine, heat it up and may quit,cool down and start again. IT WILL BURN DOWN IF NOT FIXED. It may have run fine when you put it away last year or before that. It really sounds to me that that will be the problem. That will mean an overhaul. Do it before it fries and you may get by with just a full gasket set with seals and rings. Remember it's older.

I was thinking along the same lines as beeonkey concerning the crank seal. It's easy to check. Just start the machine and spray something like carb cleaner, starting fluid, or WD-40 on the crank seal behind the primary clutch. If the seal is bad the motor should increase in RPM.