• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hot spot/weedlines

ice-man/vexilar-king

How do I find a weed line in winter if I don’t know where it is? I have no problem finding and catching fish on the area lakes but what I would like to know is whats holding them in these areas. What lets you know that you’re on a weed line besides a hook full of the stuff? I have noticed that I have had a lot of bubbles coming up the holes. Also the last spot I’ve been fishing holds the schools longer than I’m use to, instead of a run and gun sort of thing.
C&R~~~~>’)))))><

The weeds will look kind of like fish marks on your vex, only they won't move. If you are unsure, just hook some. Hooking some weeds is not a bad idea anyhow. It lets you see what kind of weeds are there and if they are still green or not.

A good rule of thumb is that 15 feet is roughly where you will find the outside weedline. Obviously, all lakes are different, so you may have to move shallower or deeper depending on the lake.

Right now, most of the weeds will be brown due to lack of light. Pretty soon, however, as the snow and ice starts to melt and light can reach the plants, the shallower weeds will start turning green again.

Green weeds are a plus when looking for fish. Even though fish will still be around brown (dead) weeds, they will not hold in them due to lower oxygen levels (dead plants produce no oxygen and decomposition uses up oxygen). Green weeds produce oxygen and fish will be more willing to hold in those weeds.

This time of year oxygen means new life. Not only for the plants, but for the small organisms that live in and feed on the weeds. In turn those organisms attract larger organisms (baitfish) and those baitfish attract larger fish (crappies, bluegills, etc.). That is why finding green weeds is so productive late ice and into the spring. Good luck! smile.gif

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

[This message has been edited by Adam Johnson (edited 02-24-2003).]

Weedline depth varies based on things like water clarity (clear water = deeper light penetration = weeds can grow deeper) and bottom fertility.

On some lakes, the weedline ends at 8 feet, on others 20 feet. The local bait store guys should know, and you can phone them in advance of your trip. Or if you have a Fishing Hot Spots map of the lake, it will show you weedlines.

Also, check the Online DNR lake finder feature, which will tell you water clarity and bottom composition. You can also find out where the nearest DNR Area Fisheries office is and call them during weekday business hours to ask such questions. They're the folks out there doing the sampling, and they'll probably know what you need to know. I've found them to be helpful in the past.

If all else fails, you can always find those bars on the Vex that don't move, or drop a lure down to hook a few weeds. I know it's tough to hop around with the Vex for half an hour or more to find a good fishing spot before drilling. A guy wants to start drilling and fishing right away. But for what it's worth I've found through trial and error that it's better to take the time to find the best looking spot before fishing, even when it takes awhile and lots of hopping and drilling, than to hurry up and fish.

Also, weeds remain green in most of the northern Minnesota and Wisconsin lakes I've been fishing. Ice is thick, but there is so little snow that light has been penetrating well enough to keep the weeds alive and green. Every time I bring up a fish that's taken me through the weeds, there are some green ones.

Stfcatfish: You seem well educated about lakes, I like the way you posted back. Did you get this info off a HSOforum, or just time on the lake? I read a lot of books but it seems like they all talk about break lines and contures. I haven’t come across anything that goes into detail about the formation of weedlines.
C&R~~~~>')))))><