• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled ice fishing mods??????

Shack

I was thinking???? From another thread, I got some idea’s. I am thinking of moding out my sled with some awesome added features for ice fishing.

I work at a “fab shop”, where anything is possible and was wondering all day on how to mod out my sled to the extreme for ice fishing. I figure for this year (with my experience on the ice finally) with my sled, I could upgrade some things. I have an “in” with powder coaters and can have anything fabed up, plastic wise and metal wise.

Plus I have several sleds out back that could be donor sleds for other parts (I.E. two up seat, long track).

Any ideas welcome. If you seen my Otter mod, I think things out to the “T”.

First off I am thinking of, a large rear cargo rack, like 2‘ x 3‘ and lifted high. Braced to the side tunnel and rear tunnel. I have also thought of a small front rack that would also hold cargo, plus an auger.

After being out on Mill Laces this year and LOW in the future, I am ready to do something.

Anyone have a fishing mod sled with pics out there?

I saw a pretty cool "mod" this weekend. It was basically a big rack/basket that was fabricated out of conduit. Wastewaterguru has the sled now, but I think Dennis Steele did the fabrication. The sled was originally Paul Waldowski's

It works good, John had a bunch of gear strapped in there.

I really can't even explain how it was attached, but it worked good.

I made this auger carrier for my sled about 5-6 years ago. I like the fact that it's not stored horizontally so no gas leakage. Also, it does not stick out to the sides as much this way. It's incredibly ugly and heavy (sturdy) but it works great.

DSC01953.jpg

IMG] DSC01954.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

IMG] DSC01957.jpg

Thanks guys for the idea's. I am going to bring sled to work next week and bring her in the shop here and ask some of the metal fab guys what they think.

Anyone else out there that has idea's keep them coming.

I posted this photo a couple years ago.

augerrack22pc.jpg

Pretty much a stock AC rear rack for my '02 ZR w/ a sorta custom auger rack. It really does work awesome. My Marcum fits in the rack and is secured w/ a bungee cord. Haven't lost it yet.

The other "mods" that work well are AC saddle bags, an AC handlebar bag, and I have a handlebar mounted RAM mount for my Lowrance H20. I run the GPS from a Vex battery which is stashed in the handlebar bag.

Between the rear rack, and storage I have in my saddle bags, I really have no reason to pull a house anymore other than shelter. I can put my rod bag on my back, all my tackle and plastics in the saddle bags, Marcum and auger on the rear rack.

One thing I have noticed is the rear suspension sags a bit with all this stuff on the sled, and pulling the house. Whatever you do to the back as far as a rack, consider getting heavier springs or cranking yours up as far as they'll go.

I just recently aquired use of an older AC long track with a nice rack in the back. I would like to rig up some sort of a system to carry two buckets as well as my auger on the back. I know that you can buy atv accessories that are a metal ring type system that will hold your buckets off the back rack, but has anyone tried using them off their sled racks?

CA