• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skidoo fuel problem

Bigbartguy

hi folks

I've got a 98 Formula Z 670. My carbs are not getting any gas, it will only run when using the primer to get gas into the carb.

my question - I'm looking at my fuel line going out of my gas tank and it's completely dry, as are the fuel lines going to the carb. Shouldnt this have at least 'some' gas in it?

could my filter be clogged? any other ideas?

thanks for your assistance!

Its very likely that the needle seats are stuck closed. The fuel pump wont pump any fuel if they are closed. Try unhooking the fuel line at the carb and pulling it over. If it pumps fuel then, the carbs need cleaning. I have a friends Arctic Cat in the garage right now that was doing the same thing. The needles were completely stuck on both carbs. Cleaned them out and it runs sweet now.

thanks Macguyv. I pulled the lines to the carb and cranked it over a few times. It's still not pulling any fuel out of the gas tank or to the carb lines that I pulled. I'm going to drain the tank and see if the filter is blocked.

then I guess I'm going to move onto fuel pump?

Make sure to check the pulse line to the engine case.

If it is cracked or loose it wont pulse the pump.

Also you can blow through the line that goes to the tank to check two other things. You should be able to hear bubbles if it is not cracked or broken. And, if you can blow through it easily, the filter is probably not plugged.

On the Cat I just worked on I actually had to squirt some gas into the pump to get it pumping. I think the diaphrams were dried out from 5 years of sitting.

thanks guys. Fuel filter is clean & no fuel shutoff valve on this sled.

The sled has also stopped sparking, SO there is no fuel AND no spark at this point.

I'm in no position to start chasing electrical issues also, so I brought it in for repair. I'll post the results here in case anyone else has a similar issue.

thanks for your help!

I'm going to try posting this again, looks like it disapeared w/ the forum going down.

thank you both! checked the pulse line-clamp was loose. Tightened and carbs still werent sucking fuel. Pulled fuel lines to the carbs and was able to get gas moving. Pulled the carbs and cleaned the needle valve/seat and viola! My carbs are now pulling fuel. thanks Mcguyv and Surface!!

brought it into the dealer for the electrical issue, chased it for a couple of days but much easier for them to do.