• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sax-Zim Bog shoot roll-call please

It sounds like a fun time for you guys. Jonny sure knows how to host an outing! I sure wish we could do the Eagle Adventure this weekend but what do ya do? Dukhnt and I are going to Monticello to shoot some swans. Hopefully the skies are blue. It would make for a pretty bland photo of a swan against a white sky. frown.gif

Have fun! Can't wait to hear about it on Monday.

Jonny,

Thought you would want to see this. It was posted on the MOU HSOforum by Mike Hendrickson.

"* Met a wonderful man from Hibbing who is spreading sunflower seeds and corn on the road for birds. He tosses out about 200lbs each time he visits the bog! He is also hanging suet feeders on Owl Ave, McDavitt Rd and Admiral Rd. He has a good bird feeding site at the north end of the bend on Owl Avenue on the west side of the road near the east west culvert. There are a lot birds visiting that site. I forgot his name but he's a pretty wonderful guy to drive around and feed the birds on his own plus the suet he hangs out!"

Lol!...I think he may have misunderstood thee "amount" of "bird goodies"...."Not" hardly 200 pounds each time I go into the bog....holy moly! shocked.gif...one time shot here...lol!...I haven't seen his blog today but was nice meeting and talking to him....nice that I got a mention!

lol!....You know,I certainly don't mind that individuals know where the feeding areas are at all....after all,the birders are just driving on a road ,stopping to photograph the wildlife and birds just like I am...when I think about it,90% of the time ,I'm the only one on those roads in spring,summer and fall,very rarely meet anyone on those backroads,winter seems to be a little more vehicle traffic(as friday but then again, christmas vacation, long weekend as with me)....I never met anyone on the admiral road at all saturday....last 3 times I was down there,I never met a soul....it's nice to stop and have a quick conversation with other people with the same interests and learn from there recent sightings...we ,no doubt ,will run into an occasional birding party Sunday..the birds will still be there,the natural drive and need for food will keep em there even if a person is there or not... grin.gif

I made it to Hibbing. I drove thru pretty snow, just about the whole 315 miles. The temp on my car thermometer never varied by more than 2 degrees for 314 miles, then entered Hibbing and it dropped 2 degrees. Hibbing did have the cheapest gas for the whole 315 miles. Filled up and got 20 mpg, which isn't bad for an SUV in the winter.

I only forgot 2 things - a shovel and my "bino's". grin.gif I think I can live without both. At least I remembered my camera and my long johns. wink.gif

Now that I'm settled in, I can give Jonny a call and meet up for dinner.

See the rest of you in the AM.

Well...I have had the honor of meeting XT! grin.gif....had dinner together this evening and "shot the bull" for a couple hours before dropping him off back at his motel....looks to be a great Sunday in the bog!...just hope that sporadic freezing drizzle never gets here shocked.gif