• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

96 Polaris problem

Powerstroke

A guy I work with has a 96 Polaris...I think he said XLT special or something like that. I know nothing about sleds, but I'd like to get one to start out and use for ice fishing. ANyway, he says it needs a bit of work. He talked to Polaris and they sent him a voltage regulator. It also hasn't been run in 3 yrs. but this guy is a mechanic by trade so I know he took care of it.

Would this be easy to fix?

He wants ~$600 with the part or more if he fixes it himself. The price is right and I need to learn about sleds if I plan on owning one, but I don't want to get in over my head on the first try.

I had a 96 XLT special. I am not a mechanic, but did the maintenance and didn't beat it. Got 9,000+ miles on it with no major issues. Sold it a few years back for $1000. It is a great sled for rough trails with the xtra-12.

Andy,

The owner is a mechanic.

Sled doesn't run.

He talked with Polaris and they sent him a part.

If it was an easy fix it would be fixed.

The owner doesn't know whats wrong with the sled.

You'll be taking on a headache that he wants to get rid of.

Add cleaning and two carb kits to the list of things that need to be fixed.

You also have to consider bearings that have sat idle for 3 years. An engine that has sat will puke out before an engine with moderate use. Those bearing need to be spun and lubed other wise they'll pit and it doesn't take much.

I'd have him fix the sled and carb overhaul, then I'd want him to drive the sled for a couple hundred miles before I bought it.

Or offer him a price low enough that you could get you money back if you Had to part it out.

Thanks for the comments Frank. I know the guy well enough that I trust him. He's got 3 other sleds and with the past winters this one has just sat idle.

I definitely do not want a headache. I would like to find something that I can manage on my own and learn with.

Right now cheap sleds are a dime a dozen. Its just so hard to find the ones that are in good shape and just need some TLC.