• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which lens to buy?

Since everyone else is getting new lenses I guess its my turn too! I do not know what to buy though, I don't want to have any regrets in the end. I have a habit of impulse buying and would like to research this a bit first. I was going to go with the a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom. I know some of you have it and seem happy with it. Then I started to look at Sigmas. They are a bit cheaper then the canon. The model's I am looking at on Canoga Cameras HSOforum are the following two.

Sigma AF 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX APO-OS DG Telephoto Zoom and

Sigma AF 50-500mm f4-6.3 EX DG/HSM Telephoto Zoom. They have all the specifics there. Any insight would be appreciated. Is there any big advantage of one over the other. I am shooting with a Canon XT and looking to spend between 1000-1500 dollars. If I purchase a new lens, I will have spent more on my camera then my car, I guess I have my priorities straight..... grin.gif

Hey Jay:

IQ on both the sigmas is pretty good, but examples I've seen with both of them aren't as sharp or saturated or contrasty as the 100-400. I don't mean to overstate that. The differences are noticeable, but small.

However, neither of them have image stabilization (a pretty powerful tool), and the 50-500 (the so-called Bigma), is a HEAVY sucker!

That being said, you can certainly get good images with either of the Sigmas mentioned, and the lower price tag is definitely a temptation.

Actually, the 80-400mm does have image stabilization. Sigma calls it OS or Optical Stabilization. I have no experience with the Sigma OS, so I can't say how it compares with what Canon offers. I have owned a few 3rd party lenses and have been happy with them...until I bought my first Canon L series lens. Like Steve said, the differences are small, but once you've used an "L", you won't want to go back.

I just read some reviews on the Sigma 80-400. The biggest gripe was the slow and noisy autofocus. Also, a couple say that the colors aren't or as vibrant as the Canon 100-400. Other than that, its' reported the OS works good and the lens is sharp. Personally, I'd think it would be worth the extra $300 or so for a faster AF and better colors, especially considering you are spending a chunk of change anyway. That way, you won't ever look back and think, what if...

...until I bought my first Canon L series lens. Like Steve said, the differences are small, but once you've used an "L", you won't want to go back.

dump... This means I am now going to have to buy the 100-400L I just rented. crazy.gif

Paul, I try not to sell the 100-400 too hard. While I've used all of Canon's supertele primes except the 400 f4 DO, the 100-400 is the best combination of flexibility, economy and image quality I've seen in Canon's supertele lineup.

You'll have a lot of fun with the zoom at the eagle shoot. Cool thing is, you won't have to worry about shooting up roll after roll of film getting used to a new lens. Got CF cards? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Steve, since it all comes down to brass tax, I am sure I will end up with the 100-300 IS USM, non-L lense due to budget constaints. I can afford the L, just not the butt chewing that will come with the reciept from my fiancee.

Anyway, I hope I didn't detract from your needed answer jayinMN. I have thought about the same decision myself and after reading the same question posted by numerous people over the last 18 months I have been haning out here, the answer has usaully been the same, Canon has better glass than say sigma, tamaron, or Tokina. Good luck in your decision. PS I have played with the 10-22mm tokina extreme wide almost fish eye and that tooks some nice pics.

Paul, are you sure you would be happy with the non L lens? Maybe you should rent the lens you intend on buying. This way, you'll know before forking out the bucks on something you may be less than satisfied with. I realize the reputable companies have a good return policy, but you still have the hassle and expense of shipping both ways, if you opt to send it back. Maybe you should rent both lenses, for the weekend. This should give you a good comparison. It's better to spend $25 now than a few hundred for something you don't care for. Remember, this is an investment that you may have for many years.

Also, you already have the ball and chain attached? Ouch! shocked.gif