• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women and Augers

I've never run the auger, I just started getting into the ice fishing last year. The auger my hubby uses is almost as tall as I am, don't have any ice cleats yet either. Still so much gear to buy!lol If I start running the auger is he gonna make me clean the fish? lol I gotta let him have at least one or two manly jobs, after all, I end up catching most of the fish.

LOL laugh.gif

I do believe our brains and talents over compensate for the small difference in height and strenght. wink.gif

Last year on MIlle Lacs I went out at the end of the season, and had heard you needed an extention on the auger to go through all the ice.

crazy.gif

I put the extentention on, ...stood the auger up .... and it was a good 5 inches taller than me shocked.gif

That was not a fun day of drillg holes tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

I like fishing with my hubby for the most part. He's really into it and I learn something new each time we go out. There's a little competitive edge that keeps me on my toes. The gear buying never stops with me. I LOVE buying tackle. The new thing for me this year is buying new rod/reel combos too.

My shoulders where sooooo sore - LOL - crazy.gif

Being vertically challanged is NOT good sometimes. blush.gif

When I saw that auger with the extention on, I thought to myself "holy s%$# " how am I going to do this confused.gif

It was actually harder getting it back up out of the hole. shocked.gif

LOL - I can laught now laugh.giflaugh.gif

Diana, we like to lake jump-don't want to be stuck on a specific lake (except maybe Lake of the Woods cool.gif) and when we get on the lake, we hop around if the action is slow. Our portables are perfect for that. That's just how we roll at this point. Maybe if we actually moved to the cabin (our cabin was my husband's house before we got married and then we didn't have the heart to sell it-AND WE WILL LIVE THERE SOMEDAY!!) maybe we'll think of putting a perm out there.

Lisa, It sounds like you have a wonderful plan in place. By the time you move to the cabin for good, you'll enjoy being in one spot with all the comforts. We have a piece of land in Sherwood Forest campgrounds near Garrison(the lodge is open year round for showers and water, we haven't gone to Millie Lacs Fishing yet, that lake is right across the road from Sherwood. But if we did go, we have a place close by. Just really don't want to walk way out to get a decent spot to fish, and it's such a big lake, it would be awful cold with the smallest of winds. Don't know yet if I'm that brave! blush.gif

Good lord, some of these posts just crack me up...but here's my take on the ice auger. I hate them...maybe that's the girly girl inside of me. Sorry girls, it slips out once and awhile. hahaha But bottom line, I can use one and when I do I just picture the last time a man crossed me and away I go. Time flies when you're having fun. hehehe

Okay now I have something actually productive to say about using an ice auger. IT ROCKS!!! Like you all know we just bought a Nils Master auger (it's only 22 lbs!)and I finally got to use it tonight on the lake across from the cabin and it was quite easy. The only problem that I had was that it would bind up at the bottom of the hole a little but because this auger is so light all I had to do was lift it up a little bit and keep drilling. You just let the auger do the work. What a great piece of machinery. Super fast and no sore arms! BTW, my husband was super impressed too and I'm so proud of him that he actually let me touch the new gadget! cool.gif

Now for the bad news-I got skunked tonight. Between three people we only got one walleye. We'll have to find a different spot/different lake next week so stayed tuned...more fish to come!! grin.gif

AWESOME Lisa laugh.gif - power tools can be a girls best friend laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

To bad about getting skunked, you're not alone out there, the fishies are acting very wierd so far this year. When they do start biting I think its going to be crazy -

smirk.gif

Tami, you got that right about fishing this year! We know this lake really well and I hope we don't just have bad mojo!

You got that right BG! I actually took next week off so I'm going to try to get way more of ice time in! The snowmobile worked just great and the Arctic Armor even better! Next time, I can't put as much clothes on underneath because I actually got WAY TOO WARM setting up my portable and drilling holes out there. I can honestly say that has NEVER happened to me on the ice before. Lucky Lisa!