• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Making New Scrapes

BeerHunter

2 weekends ago we saw a large buck when doing a drive on some land i hunt.

This weekend on the same land a buck had freshend a scrape , pee and all, where there was one before gun season and made a fresh on in the 8 inches of snow 50 yards away.

My question for anyone out there with an answer is. What is the best way to hunt a scrape like this in late season or is he more than likely doing this at night.

There is unbelievable sign of movement. I havent been out to this land since before gun and i will be putting a camera out tomorrow to see what is going on.

Can anyone give me an idea on the best time of day to hunt this or am i just getting excited for nothing.

Also my food plots are all torn up but they are 250 yards from the scrape.

Thanks for any help.

I wouldnt put as much stock in hunting a scrape this time of year as I would have the last part of October or first part of November. Its not suprising to sees rubs or scrapes active right now as does that were not bred during their first estrous cycle will be in heat again as well as any fawns that may be coming in heat for the first time. However, the number in heat is probably very low. Personally I would ignore the scrape as it was probably made in the spur of the moment with a little bit of excitment but probably not something that buck is ever going to come back to.

If you have food plots getting eaten up, thats where the does are, and if there is a stray doe or two in heat, thats where they will be and that is also where a buck will be looking.

Hunt the food this time of year, because even if there isnt rutting activity going on, all the snow and cold we are having has the deer feeding and eating heavily and this includes the bucks.

Agreed! Hunt the food, hunt it smart. Deer are real spooky this time of year and won't put up with too much activity. Sneak in, sneak out, play the wind. Good luck!