• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Advice for Planting White Pine seedlings

enclak

I recently ordered 500 White Pine seedlings from the Minnesota DNR. I will be planting them (late March/early April) on a few acres of land somewhat near Lake Alexander. Over the years, beavers have chewed down quite a bit of the wood on my property, making it quite bare looking.

Questions:

1) Should I use the natural soil that's already there (it's pretty much gravel), or should I buy potting mix?

2) Should I plant the trees in a container of some sort (coffee can, bio-degradable planter cups, or even cardboard or paper)?

3) Does anyone know if beavers will chew on White Pine? I've heard they don't like any pine trees, is this true?

4) Any other advice/suggestions for planting all of these trees?

Many thanks in advance!

I've planted whites a few times! 75%mortality rate even tho their native! then I tried alternating white,Jack,Spruce,they did better.But I wanted Whites or Reds! next plant I used a root stimulant in natural soil,the mortality rate droped to bout 30 %,But I babyed em watered at least every other week with root stimulant first year,2nd year watered every other week once a month root stimulant third year I let em go on their own,and they made it! So I assume the root structure was important.

This was also poor sandy soil northern pine county southern Carlton.

The pines actually love bare mineral soil so don't bother with adding soil. A little root dunk or fertilizer tablets in the hole wouldn't hurt. The beaver shouldn't bother them but the deer will eat the top bud off. They can be bud capped, fold a 3X6 piece of paper in half over the top bud and staple it, actually goes fast. Or spray with deer repellent and hope for deep snow like this year to cover them. Hand planting? 5 hours plus lunch. Stab,pry,pry,lift,flip,stick,pry,stomp,repeat499moretimes.

1) Should I use the natural soil that's already there (it's pretty much gravel), or should I buy potting mix?

It would be far too labor intensive to try and modify the soil. You should selective species by the soil not modify the soil for the species. White Pine can tolerate quite a range of soils, so you should be OK, except for the deer. They will destroy your planting before you know it. From where your location is, I know you have plenty. You can (and should) bud-cap each fall until they get well out of reach of the deer. Go see Bob at Little Falls DNR Forestry. He will answer your questions.

2) Should I plant the trees in a container of some sort (coffee can, bio-degradable planter cups, or even cardboard or paper)?

No

3) Does anyone know if beavers will chew on White Pine? I've heard they don't like any pine trees, is this true?

They will extremely rarely. Not a concern.

4) Any other advice/suggestions for planting all of these trees?

Again, go see Bob.

enclak,

I would go with "sparcebag" advice and plant something other than white pine. The main reason is "white pine blister rust". Do a search on this and you will see that it will be very difficult to establish a white pine growth. I have about 100 white pines on my propery. Most of them have some blister rust infection.

The seedlings are are somewhat more resistant to blster rust than they used to be. Having said that, it is still a big concern. I figured since the trees are ordered, changing the species may be difficult at this time.

The White Pine is a beautiful tree and I like to see people plant them.

One huge problem with White Pines that is not natural is that they are extremely sensitive to salt....such as road salt. So, I wouldn't plan on planting them any where near a roadway that receives deicing chemicals during the winter.

I also love the white pine. Its a fantastic tree and the long soft needles are pretty unique.

Hey guys, thank you all for the advice so far. I really appreciate it, even though it's still a few months from planting time, I want to be sure I'm ready. I never thought about doing the bud cap thing, but as long as it doesn't have to be done until before snow arrives, nothing I have to worry about until next October/November. Next time I'm in the area, I'll have to stop in to the Forestry and see if Bob is around. Also, it is as a matter of fact too late to change seedling types, so I'm pretty much stuck with what I ordered... 500 white pine seedlings. As for road salt and chemicals, definitely not an issue, the property is so secluded that the county refuses to even plow the 'road' (more like a trail) that it's on!

New questions:

5) Any recommendations as to what specific root growth/fertilizer tabs I should use (or ones I should avoid)?

6) Should I use mulch around the seedlings to control weeds/grasses?

7) Can anything be done to minimize the chance of blister rust?

FWIW, the deer destroyed all my white pines on my little lot in Crosslake except the ones I put cages around. I even planted some that were about 3-4 feet tall, and the killed them too... my bad, I should have caged them right away.

This past summer I planted about 30 seedlings and about 6 or 7 that I nursed from a few years ago to about 2-3 tall. I caged some, but I didn't have time to get to them all before I closed up shop for the season. I hope they make it until spring, when I will cage them all smile.gif

I know it is not as big as yours, and not practical to do 500, heck, or even 50, but defintely do anything you can to keep the deer away. I meant to spray them with the pepper juice, or whatever, and I will for sure this spring, or even this winter if I get up there in warm enough temps. The deer really eat them to nothing, they just keep eating the buds, and eventually eat it all until dead. I need to bow hunt up there, at least so I feel some revenge wink.gif

Good luck! Oh yeah, they don't like spruce, so that is my next type trees, white spruce, to grow at home, then transplant up there when they are about 2-3 feet tall.

When you plant them, keep the roots moist!!! Don't let them dry out on windy day. I would also strongly consider a wood mulch or weed fabric, they keep the weeds down and also keep the moisture in. Do a seach on 'Shaw fabric', it was developed for high plains tree plantings. I've used a lot of it, mainly the 4x4 squares. Its not cheap and its labor intensive but once you have the fabric on the tree, you have a +90% chance that the tree will survive (if you can control your deer problem!).

Also, as other have mentioned, diversify your next planting, it better for wildlife.