• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sun Dogs.

Yesterday on my way out of town, I noticed 3 things, Sun was out, grin.gif, it was -12 frown.gif, and there were Sun Dogs int he horizon. I had never tried to acutally take a picture of these before so I thought I would just give it a shot.

Taken with Canon XTi, Circular Polarizer, handheld, 17-85. out the window of the truck (way to cold to get out just to take a picture.)

Enjoy, tear to shreds, what ever, I noticed they need some clean up from lense flare but I will work on that later on.

SunDogs2.jpg

SnowDogs.jpg

Paul, I like the fact that the highlights are not blown out here, which can happen pretty easily with images like this.

As for the lens flare, sometimes it can produce interesting affects. I've used it a few times on purpose in images involving the sun, and in band performance photography when a light is included in the frame, certain lenses like the 85 f1.2L I was using cast a complete circlular band the same color as the light around the performer.

Does your lens have a hood, and was it on for these images? Hoods are designed to combat flare, though they have their limits. Filters can also add flare to an image. The best quality filters are multicoated to minimize that. Try experimenting with and without the polarizer to see if it's adding flare.

Steve, I was not using a hood, Dont have one for that lense yet. I was however using a circular polorizer of el' cheapo quailty, that I bought at that stupid electronic giant superstore while I am waiting for my new one under my x-mas tree. THat could have been it, I was also shooting directly into the sun, It is actually cropped out of the left side of each picture.

Actually Paul I have no problem with the lens flare, though you should have a hood. smirk.gif I just wish you would have gotten out of the truck and walked under the power lines so they would not have been in the photos. That little effort is what will make the difference in a wall hanging photo and one that is cool to look at. grin.gif

I probably would have gotten out of the truck at this point had I had some boots on. I was wearing tennis shoes and the show is 2-3 feet deep in the ditch. They are forcasting some down right ugly temps int he next few days with sun, maybe I can redo the shot.

Paul, those are really neat. I don't think I've ever sun dog. I've always wondered what they look like. Thanks for sharing.

It does sound like you need to toughen up a little though. Come on, 2-3 ft. That's perfect for tennis shoes. grin.gif

Thanks for sharing. I see something new all the time on this forum. And my wife thinks I'm just playing around. wink.gif

Mike