• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Forgot to fly south?

JayinMN

It appears this guy plans on spending the winter under my deck this year. He has been staying under there since last Thursday. He comes out to eat sunflowers and then flies back under there to get out of the cold or hide. I am curious to see how long it survives. The picture was taken from inside my house through a window since everytime I try to go out he flies back under the deck.

whitethroat.jpg

Jay, not sure where you are in Minnesota. Most years since moving to Ely, we've had one or two white-throated sparrows hang around our feeders all winter. They are very hardy. Cracked corn scattered on the ground will make them happier than sunflower.

None this year, however. Maybe you got ours. Where are you?

I live in Cherry Township near Hibbing. I didn't realise it was common for a few to stick around during the winter. I figured they all went south since you so see many in groups during the fall and spring. The suet cakes I buy have cracked corn mixed into them. The chickadees and nuthatches pick it out and let it fall to the ground so he has been under there eating that too. Next time I go to the store I think I will get a small bag of cracked corn as it seems to last forever here, yet a 50 pound bag of sunflowers disappears in no time.

Saw this guy in the feeder today and grabbed the camera to take a shot out the patio door window. Okay birders, I'm not sure which species this is or whether it belongs here in the winter or not. It was -24 last night and I'm sure he was shivering! frown.gif

sparrow.jpg