• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When will some of these guys learn?

I usuall try to do my fishing during the week, a lot less crowds. I have done very well this winter. However crowds of people hear this and come for the weekend and the fish dont bite. So they hear they are biting on another part of the lake and they go there all within a day and to there suprise no fish. And then to the next spot and so on and so on and no fish. I always tell people to stay away from the crowds but no one listens. I think you guys covered this before but it is getting worse. Do you see a pattern like I do and wonder why the fishing is slow?

Sorry for you guys on the Pond I know its time and beer money well spent but I would imagine a few fish would be nice!!!

GOODLUCK THE FISH ARE BITING AWAY FROM THE PEOPLE

Oh now, now,....be nice wink.gif Theres a explaination for this phenomenom. These are the guys who hear they're biting in area X and pack to travel 2hrs to area X. As an easy solution to the search for fish, they just fish where everyone else is. Makes sense right? Little do they know how the fish are biting in other areas. Weekend warriors don't have the time to find they're spots. So if you only have one day fish, its vital to catch something, so follow everyone else.If you don't know the lake, and you're 200 miles from home, pay for a guide instead of using fellow anglers as guides. If the lakes were the animal kingdom, they would be the scavengers(picking up everything that someone worked hard to get first)

I have to strongly agree on this one. I really dont mind the people doing what they are doing, but the reasoning just doesn't make sense. I've caught almost all of my fish away from the crowds. Once in a while I'll head over to a shanty town to talk with some people I know, but when I'm working them, I always move away from the noise. Even if you dont know the lake there are well enough marked maps and tips for fishing the kind of fish you are after within anyone's grasp. Take a guess and start drilling. Otherwise you'll more than likely become one of those bottle bass catchers and drive home dissapointed from how many ever miles it was you went to get there.
Granted if you're fishing for walleyes and you're blasting the radio and playing football while watching tip-ups, you probably aren't changing your odds too much by moving away from the crowds anyway.
To those of you that don't care whether or not you catch fish, "I'm Open!!!!"

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

About a month ago I was fishing on a local lake and went down to the access and pulled all the gear out of the back of my truck, loaded it into my sled, and off I started to go to my fishing spot. Two guys stopped me as a got down to the ice and were asking me if the fish were biting... bait of choice... and so on. We had been catching a bunch of small walleyes but nothing decent sized except for a transition zone between sand and mud on a small dropoff(a little bigger than the size of my ice house). With my vexilar, shiners, and a ton of minnows I'm sure they realized that I wasn't a leasure fisherman and I must've known the hot spot. I started out towards my spot again after I talked to these guys and they just stood there and watched me. So I decided to try a new area and walk way out into the middle of the lake. I turned around and they were still standing there watching where I went and had binoculars to see if I was catching anything. Sunset was approaching so I went over to my hot spot and sure enough the second I started setting up they grabbed their gear and within 10 minutes they put their ice house up about 30 feet from mine. After a couple hours of fishing they packed up and left without a bite and I caught a bunch of 2# plus eyes. These guys could've been fishing and looking for a spot that entire time but they did not want to do any work to catch fish. They just wanted somebody to point out the spot. I have to say I see this a lot in both winter and summer in Minnesota. I find personal enjoyment locating a spot to catch fish.

I think there is something else contributing to the "follow the crowds" syndrome, I should know I was a part of it not too long ago. When I was growing up I went fishing with my dad, but rarely did he teach me anything about finding fish. We went to a spot and fished. Now I have friends and we are all fairly young guys (27). That were in the same situation. We all love fishing but if you don't know why fish are in a certain spot you don't know what spots too look for. Now that I have my own gear, boat, truck, prtable, auger, vexy and such I am much more willing to put in the time to look for spots that should hold fish and then fish there. I think there are a lot of "new" fisherman on the scene that may not know how to find fish. Be patient with these guys and if you are talking to people about where they are hitting, tell them why they are hitting. Maybe we won't have so many crowds if everyone knows what to look for.

I have heard an awful lot of complaining about crowds and the so called crowd followers. I just think that because someone follows the crowd does not make them an inconsiderate fisherperson. Certain situations on both hard water and soft require a person to fish near others in order to have some chance of catching fish. Guides do it and resort owners sometime recommend it. Hopefully when these people need to fish close they are considerate and friendly. I have met many nice people fishing close to me. Those of us who like to stay away from crowds must be considerate of them also. Lets tolerate and teach rather that grump and complain.

I agree with you w2. I'm against fishing crowds, but in some cases some people may need a little assistance. If you do set up near people be courtious. Give them some space. Do not drill holes right at prime time and do not troll circles around someone with your 1969 100 horse smoke machine. That gets pretty annoying.

I hope I dont sound like a grump I am not that old yet to be a grump.LOL
I have showed many people where to fish in some quiet areas and they catch fish. I am hoping to help some guys here not complain about it. Used that example to prove you catch less fish when there is alot of comotion. So if some of these less knowledgable fisherman think they are doing something wrong that would be the first thing I would change. And I would agree there are just some guys out to have there own fun IE the football and atv donuts.

wcmnwalleye, I don't know when you will learn. If you just drilled a couple of extra holes and allowed me to fish in your house and use your bait all of this crowding could be overcome. Think of it this way, The Minnesota Department of Transportation has solved our busy highways by encouraging car pooling. If that doesn't epitomize success then I guess I just don't have a clue. Just let me know when you are heading out fishing and where and I will bring my bucket.

I hate the crowding too. Why go fishing when you can smell some other fishermans breath? No they will never learn.

When someone moves in too close to me, I let them know it. My feeling is that the next time they're thinking about setting up a house or dropping anchor close to another fisherperson, they'll think about how close is appropriate.

How close is too close? If I'm set up in a group of houses that are spaced 30 feet apart, I expect people to move in on me. If I'm by myself on a small lake, I don't want anyone within 50 yards of me. On Red lake, 200 yeards is too close. Its like tailgating drivers, on 494 you have to drive close or someone else will keep moving into the gap, but once you get out in the country, back off@!!! Drives me crazy, you can be driving out Hwy 7, and some ahorn comes up behind you and tailgates within 2 car lengths! They have no intention of passing, thats just the way they're used to driving in the Cities, so I get the choice of hitting any deer that pops out or getting rearended if I hit the brakes.

A couple of weeks ago a buddy and I went out to Greys Bay (mtka) and chose a spot far from the beaten path (there were no holes drilled previously). We drilled six sets of holes (for a fish trap) in a straight line that crossed a break. By the time we got going, a couple of nitwits had walked over and placed tip-ups in a couple of our holes that we had drilled! Where do thesen people come from? One guy had tennis shoes and a six foot pole he was using. I understand that the lake is public but this takes the cake. By the time packed up, there were five other groups within 15 feet of us. I hope they had as much luck as us...1 sunny :-

I think that there are certain times when the crowd thing can be fun. I also think threre are times that crowding can [PoorWordUsage] someone off. I think that if you set your house up in the shantytowns you are probably out to just sip a couple brews and have a good time, with any fish being a bonus. However many of us are out to catch fish and don't want anyone to disturb us. This doesn't always hold true but you have to remember many of out there today were brought up on going out to where everyone else is catching fish. If you are out there and don't want someone else next to you don't let them know you are catching fish. If you are on a hot spot and joe blow pulls up and starts drilling around you ask him if he could keep his distance and i bet he will. It's my experience that people go near people because they are unsure of going into the unknown. If you show someone a spot that is not right on top of you they will probably give it a try. thats my 2 cents. ><>
deadeye

Iceman77, I"m with you on this subject. First thing I do entering a lake is look at my lake map. Second thing I look for is where all the people are together. That is the last place you will find me. I then spend whatever time sonaring for what I am looking for(1 hour-not uncommon) I have seen people watch me do this from quite a distance and lo and behold, if I went back the next day, I have had people set up in the holes I was fishing out of.
Now I have helped my fellow fisherman on the ice (Drilled their holes, borrowed bait, give them tips) I don't like people taking advantage of someone else's labor. I appreciciate everyones style of fishing but i am out there to catch fish (Catch and/or Release)I am always open to help people if I can, but don't like the (Ice Vultures)
Search them perch!!

Sometimes I like company, sometimes I don't.

I'd just spent all day on a lake inside the Chequamegon National Forest in northern Wisconsin today, looking at eagles, ravens and my tip-ups. It was a spot that had been used before, and there were some frozen-over holes and one permanent shack with no one home.

Truck pulled up and two guys started looking for half-frozen holes. One pulled out a spud bar and started banging the gong on an old hole. I walked over and asked what was up.

Turns out their auger gave up the ghost, so I drilled six holes for them and they set up and started getting flags too.

Like I said, sometimes I don't want to see or talk to anyone when I'm ice fishing, but if I REALLY feel that way I better hike in 5 miles on foot to a remote wilderness lake, because if you can get a snowmobile, a wheeler or a pickup on a lake, you're going to have company.

And I figured that someday when my auger breaks down it'll all come around. grin.gif

------------------
"I've driven farther before to catch fewer fish . . ."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Ya know folks, there really are people out there that don't have the $400 FL18 the $400 LazerMag Ultra etc. etc. Their out there taking their kids fishing, so where do they go? Where everyone else is of course! Jeezzz some of you guys need to sign up for "Hermits are Us".

Do you want the guy without the augar using the unused hole you drilled looking for fish with your 400 dollar flasher, or do you want him to be banging on the ice with that 19.95 spud bar that is all he/she can afford right now?

Instead of bumming out your trip pi$$ing and moaning about all those inconsiderate aholes, how about you try taking the time to show them what they are doing that pi$$es people off? Lots of them don't even know, cuz they had no one to teach them. And no chucking your emptys at them does not constitute education, that just makes "you " one of those aholes "they" will be talking about on the way home!

SFcatfish, that was a great thing you did. I have been the hole driller for people a few times and the gratitude I have gotten from the augerless was well worth it. As a sidebar wcmnwalleye did I offend you with my post regarding crowds? I don't see my post here. If I did offen you I apologize, that was not my intent. I will keep my banter and humor to myself.

E-wells I dont ever get offended. If you come out here to WCMN I will put you on some fish and as long as you bring enough food and drinks for the two of us anybody is welcome in my house (MGD light will do fine).

STORY I was out last night catching a few and someone pulled up in a pickup and house asked me where to go I told him where and he did it was about 20 yards from me (being a nice guy). He was curtios and said he would be quiet. He caught a few fish and must of called his buddies within 10 minutes there was four more trucks and tons of commotion and low and behold no more fish the guys that come later where complaining at him telling him he was nuts because they didnt get any. I put in my 2 cents and told them they cant come and make noise during primetime and expect to catch fish.

I never go to someone else spot if they are fishing there. its rude and unrespectful to there fishing area if you ask me. Its not like all the fish are going to be in that area. So i try to find a better spot that no one trys.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to say that I agree with Labrat. I just moved here from Green Bay and the cost of living is outragous here. I'm trying to buy a nice house and cannot afford any of the expensive equipment to be a skilled fisherman, but I still enjoy it when I can. I also don't have any idea where to fish or the time to find the good spots the right way. I thought Minnesota was the walleye capital of the world and have had NO success and absolutely NO help when I kindly ask for some guidance. Outdoorsmen are supposed to be down to earth and helpful...at least I think so. It wouldn't hurt to be less selfish on the ice. You might even feel good about yourself when you see the guy you helped catch a nice fish... I know I would.

Thanks! Maybe that's why I haven't been getting any good advice. I better stop wearing my Packer jacket out on the ice.

I'm headed out to Prior Lake today. And yes, I'll probably drive out to where everyone else is. Mostly because I don't know where the ice might not be thick enough and I don't want to end up at the bottom of the lake.