• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Preventing Jig Spinning???

Coach1310

I am hoping to head out for the first time this winter on Friday and while tying on some jigs I couldn't help but think about how much I hate it when my jig spins. What can I do to prevent that?? I like to fish crappies with spoons and I usually use a small swivel which helps a lot, but what do I do to prevent twisting on my small panfish jigs. I usually use 2-3lb test and tie jigs with a "fisherman's" knot or at least what I was told was a fisherman's knot. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks! Can't wait til Friday!

I am not a swivel user on my panfish rigs, as at times it draws attention from certain fish.

One thing that I have found that helps on lure spin, is to constantly keep fresh line on your spool. I usually just refreshen 100 to 200 feet of line or so, back to back uni-knotting it to the older line throughout the season. There isnt too many times I need more then a 100 feet of line to fight a fish, even bigger species.

Also, after spooling this new line, I pull the line off (approximately 25 feet, or relative to the depth you are fishing) using the resistance of the reels drag. This helps to straighten the coils of the line after it came off the spool. And by spooling the line off the reel in a manner that does not make it coil consistantly is key too.

Your lure will still spin some, but this is why pounding the lure is so beneficial for panfish. The pounding action keeps the lure in place and lure spin at a minimum.

I just read a article by Dave Genz on this subject and he mentioned the new line he said he would also pull 50' of line and stretch it out I will read it again and grab a few other pointers!!

re-read the article and he says that he constantly will put on 50' of new line and then pre-stetch it to take the memory coil out of the line....he also recommends not to reel like a mad man when the drag is going because this will cause twists and weakens the line!! This was a tip to make your ice season the best ever!!!

I noticed it a bunch on my Aqua View this past year. Also if you lower your line a few feet and start jigging you may notice it spinning when you stop jigging... when I have fish who seem to committ to my jig, but do not bite I check for spinning first thing....for me that is usually the problem...any other tips???... I just don't know if I like the idea of adding a swivel...that just means more knots and in my mind means a loss of line strength, but I will try it and see how it goes...thanks!

I treid stretching the line this weekend and it seemed to help as I had fish not biting and then I pulled up and left the jig 3-4 ft under the ice and noticed it spinning. I then pulled everything up and just started stretching and lowering the bait to the bottom of the lake and kept stretching a couple more yards past that......I pulled the bait up off the bottom and right away started to catch fish!!! Plus it lets you know if you have bad line!!

Different jig heads are less prone to spinning, like a flirty girty, gypsy jig head, or forege minnow. I also like whistler jigs for that spinning blades keeps a patterned fall on them.

I will be testing a foxee jig with a spin blade similar to a road runner, this winter.