• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage broadheads

harvey lee

Well said Labs, If the arrow hit the vitals the deer would be down. A lot of people believe that you need a huge hole in the vitals to kill the animal, but nothing could be father from the truth. You will get a better blood trail with a bigger hole but both will kill the animal. I have shot mechanicals for years and have never had one fail. I know that it can happen and it might happen to me someday but until that time comes I will continue to shoot them just for the accuracy and big holes and better blood trail.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with the last post. if you hit a deer in the bouiler room with a field point, the deer is going down. The broadhead would not have to even open.

I dont know what happened but, sometimes one thinks he has a good hit only to find out later it was a merginal hit at that.

I realize that people form their own opinions in various ways...experience, other's experiences, media, etc, etc. I just hope people don't assume expandables are going to work without actually taking the time to do some personal testing. I have purchased 2 different types of mechanicals over the past few years fully intending to give them a shot out in the field hunting. So I tested them by trying to simulate a hunting situation (hitting a deer, etc). I do the same with any fixed blade I may use. On a couple of occasions the mechanicals didn't open up, therefore they never made it out hunting with me! I understand that even the most extensive broadhead testing with perfect results still doesn't guarantee that the blades will deploy while hunting and that point is also something I can't get past. Since I have found a fixed blade that is more accurate than any mechanical I have ever shot(for my setup), I won't change what works. In my opinion, many bowhunters changed over to mechanicals when they heard/experienced that they "fly like fieldpoints"...which I agree, they fly great, but many changed over because this meant they didn't have to struggle with fine tuning their setup, which again in my opinion is a very poor excuse. The chance, however slight, that a mech. head may not open up while shooting at an animal...that's personally not good enough for me and a chance I will never be willing to take.

(www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx)

remove parenthesis

Here is video I came across with an interesting broadhead test. I was actually surprised by some of the results. Of course it's not a conclusive test, but it would be interesting to see them do some extensive testing using different bows and different setups.