• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm taking my dog fishing, when I finally can get out on the ice.

Any one here take there dog out on the ice with them? I have a 10 1/2 month old English Mastiff pup that goes everywhere I go, believe me...if I'm going, he's going too. lol. I've got a corner all set up for him in the house. I bought snap together rubber mats and doubled it so he isn't laying directly on the floor, I don't want him getting a chill and deciding he doesn't like fishing. I'll bring in his bed from the van and a couple of blankets. He's been in the fish house with me while I've been prepping it for the ice fishing season. He was with me the whole time while painting the outside of it this summer, I left the door open for him to get used to it. Any tips you can think of to make this a great experience for him, just let me know. Thanks, Diana

I'd love to take my hounds fishing with me. But I know I wouldn't get much fishin' done. - I was fishing one time on a popular lake and there was this dog running around visiting a variety of peoples shacks. He eventually made it over to where I was. He came over to check me out and I noticed that his owner had placed a special sign saying 'DO NOT FEED ME' in big letters around his neck. I guess he was a real moocher. Cracked me up!

Well it looks like more snow coming our way, hopefully my doggy will get the experience of Ice Fishing this year if we can find a lake that has enough ice regardless of the snow cover, will have to be a smaller lake or a shallow one. My pup weighed in at 144lbs. today, he's not even a year old yet, goodness, he's a big boy, likes it warm too, doesn't stray to people much. Hope I get some fishing in this year!

Took my ~100 pound Lab last year (he is with a new family due to my allergies frown.gif) and he was happy as can be when we played fetch when the fishing was slow. Once we got settled he was none to happy the crappies kept intrerupting his nap. I had to keep my elbow/arm on his neck and wrestle his head away from the hole or he would put his head down there when he saw the fish. By far the most tiring day ice fishing I ever had. He would drop his ball in the hole from time to time as well. I miss him by my allergies don't...

Forgot to mention he was 8 months old and still puppy clumsy. My 6 year old daughter got knocked over or tail whipped when coming home from school, after the first couple of times she would just fall on the floor so she would only get licked silly... :-)

Two things I learned in bringing my lab/golden/husky mixes (sisters) ice fishing... ALWAYS - ALWAYS keeps the auger blade cover on. Rudy hit the blade when chasing around and gashed her toe pretty bad. Got sticthes the next day.

And Blue ran by when one of us left a rod sitting on bucket with jigging rap hanging - she got stuck on the back and I had to de-hook her.

They are worse than kids because they run so fast smile.gif But they love it! Just think to keep anything and everything sharp dog-proofed! Good luck!

Good Ideas, BoxMn and Jig. One good thing is this dog isn't all that playful even for a pup. He has his moments, but they usually happen at home. I'll be on the look out for all sharp objects and I was going to rig up a fence type thing for the corner just in case he is too curious and needs to be confined for a bit. I'll only take him out if I have the perm. set up. All Ideas are welcome, some experiences you just can't predict.