• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring photo shoot gathering ideas

Hokay,

Paul started with an idea about scheduling a spring photo gathering on the order of the recently-organized Sax-Zim Bog gathering.

To keep that thread on its original topic, let's post ideas about where we might gather for a spring HSO/FM photo shoot.

Paul, Mcary and X-Tackleman all have ideas, so you guys go ahead and talk them up. As the ideas begin to flow and take shape, we can decided later which seems to make the most sense with location and shooting opps in mind.

There's no hurry on making a decision. If we can nail it down by February or March (for an April or May shoot), that oughta give people lots of time to make the time.

Thoughts?

Geez, Cheryl, did Rick spring for a 600-foot cruise liner or something? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Only problem this catfish has with Australia is all the snakes. I HATE snakes, and they say that the 10 deadliest breeds in the world live Down Under. No wonder Britain sent boatloads of convicts there in the 1800s. grin.gifgrin.gif

OK Wifey, we'll be anxiously awaiting your photos. grin.gif

Seriously, here again is a place I was going to check out this spring. It sounds excellent for birds and waterfowl. It's in northern SD and, unlike what the link says, it is a NWR. Check it out. http://www.stateparks.com/waubay.html

Paul made a spring suggestion. I already have a potential suggestion/idea for spring. If others would be interested, I think it would be great to head into southern North Dakota or northern S.D. during late April or early May. This should line up nicely with the big spring migration and would not cut into the Minnesota fishing opener. With the appropriate advanced planning, people could take days off (if necessary) and make car-pooling arrangements (to save on costs). Just a thought to throw out there since I happen to be a waterfowl photo nut in particular (and have been contemplating a trip there anyway) . wink.gif

The Tewauken Game Refuge in SE ND would be an option lots of birds, cranes, geese, ducks, hawks, eagles, scenery, 2 lakes and an outhouse in the middle of no where.

If we wanted to pick something central to everyone we should pick MIDDLE MN, since we have guys form South, East, West and North.... What is in the middle? Park Rapids, maybe Paul Bunyan Forest or Itasca State Park?. Waubay would be a good spot also as X-takleman suggested, and if they migration has moved north, we could adjust to Teawaken (sp) in Sargeant County, ND.

A note on photo excursions. As a group, it's very difficult to have a successful outing trying to photograph wary waterfowl and other wildlife shy of people.

Group outings succeed best when landscape images or subjects such as flowers/plants are the topics. However, if waterfowl is what folks want (I wouldn't mind some more waterfowl work in the N.D. waterfowl heaven I used to live in before becoming a photographer) it's a simple matter to plan it so we can all gather somewhere the evening before or very early on the morning of the gathering and either pair off and or work alone in various places and get together again at the end of the day.