• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning fish on the ice?

jegerjack

Does anyone know if there is a law against cleaning fish on the ice? A co-worker thought there was but I cannot find it in the regs. Reason I want to know is that I setup by a pile of fish that had been cleaned a few weeks previous to me being there. While I was fishing a game warden came up and inquired about the pile. Luckily for me and my buddy he could tell the pile was a few weeks old. But I wondered even if they where mine (I wish the pile was, looks like they had a good day), is it illegal to clean fish and leave the guts on the ice? When I fish in Canada one of the fun things to watch is the seagulls go after the fish after a shore lunch. Thanks, JegerJack.

From the MN fishing regulations book: Fish with length limits may not be possessed as fillets on the water while angling... Depositing fish entrails or fish parts into public waters or onto lake or stream shores is prohibited.

I believe the reason the warden asked is because of the fact that the remains were left on the ice. It's also not wise to throw unwanted fish (catfish, perch etc.) on the ice. First of all they count towards your limit. Second you may get ticketed if you pick up and leave. And for the fact that it gives those fools of PETA another reason to gripe and complain about the inhumane treatment of fish. If you don't want it throw it back.

That is why I was worried, it looks like they where close to their limit on pike and between my buddy and me, if you included the remains of the pike, we would have been over. But the game warden was cool and he did not give us a hard time....

JegerJack

------------------
"What did the old man trade for these guys, a used puck bag?"

That's an understanding CO, I've been harrased in the past, I caught my limit of perch and the house next to me was throwing out his little perch on the ice. He leaves and the CO thought it was me and tried to ticket me with wanton waste and over-the-limit.

------------------
Get 'er done

Some parasites living in fish produce spores that are not killed by freezing temperatures. Some infected fish, usually the older and bigger ones may only be carriers of parasites. If the spores are then released back into the water, they will re-enter the food chain in worms or snails. Chances are that younger fish, which are most vunerable, will become infected. Scroll back a few pages and look at "Perch Meat Looks Funny" post. Not only does this practice seem disrespectful to the environment, but to other anglers as well.