• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

moth balls

Moth Balls are nasty smelling, but do the job. I could barely stand it last year. At the end of last season, I loaded the portable with fabric softener sheets, and I guess it worked well, no mice in the porty, and my house smells spring time fresh grin.gif! I'm sure it worked, because I live "in the country", and have a year round trap line going in my garage and sheds. I catch a couple mice, voles, shrews, etc. every week, all year.
Go with the bounce sheets!

I bought a 'suitcase' style, wood bottom, fish house last year. When I cut out the holes to fish through I saved them. In the off season I fasten them back in so to plug the holes.
If they can't get in, they can't chew, pee, and [PoorWordUsage].

not all mice seem to take offense at mothballs.i had a friend who put some in his portable, when he opened the house to use it the mice had a nest in his fishouse and guess what was in the nest, yep a mothball.

Thanks for the info on Bounce. How much should I use? A couple of sheets or a whole box. My Wife might get suspicious, or her hopes up if she notices her Bounce missing.

Here's a way to get rid of mice that has worked for years on the farm in buildings that don't get much use, get a 5 gallon pail and drill a small hole on each side about 6inches down from the top. poke a hole in each end of a pop can and run a piece of coat-hanger wire thru the bucket and the can so the can is inside the bucket. smear lots of peanut butter on the can. prop a board on the edge of the bucket so the little buggers can walk up but have to jump over to the bait. put a couple gallons of old oil or anti-freeze in the bucket. The little fellas
are smart enuf to jump on the can, but never have learned to log-roll very well.

seeyainthewoods>>>>>>>bowhunter

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 01-13-2003).]

As stupid as it sounds put a few bars of Dove soap in there .. the mice don't like it. I learned this trick from a party that I bought a pop up camper from .. It works great, and smells better than moth balls.

Just be sure theres no open holes that mice can get into no matter what you put in there.

Irish Spring Soap.
I don't remember where I read it but it works. I shave some into a zip lock baggy and place it into my portable when storing.
When I use the portable, I zip lock the baggy and store in a drawer. I also put it in my boats before storing. My neighbor had trouble with mice up under the hood of his snowmobile. He had been putting out traps for years. Now he uses Irish Spring.
Good Luck...

One bad thing about the mothballs is that they are poisonous, if your puppy dog get ahold of them... So when your sprinkling them around and then in the spring they come bouncing out, if you have a puppy around they'll scarf them up. I finally just went with a couple of packs of Dcon, throw away the leftover in the springtime.