• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Elk Camp 07

Well here we go everyone. I spent a week in CO from Nov. 1-Nov. 9 chasing the ever elusive elk. We hunted the 3rd season which usually lends itself to at least one snowfall of over 12 in., but this year it was the complete opposite. Clear skies, cool nights.....hot days and sunny, not a good combination for elk hunting. The elk were very hard to come by, although we did fill 3 out of 5 (tags). I was the odd man out, but in my book the elk are a bonus. I enjoy the mountains, camp, friends I only get to see once a year, the pursuit, packing out animals, and the overall feel of CO. Here are some pictures of the trip. Nothing spectacular, but it may let some of you use your imaginations and pretend you are there. I know I will be looking at them for the next 51 weeks to get me through.

This was taken at 85 mph entering Denver at sunset. I held the camera out the window on Interstate 76 (I don't condone this), it turned out ok.

100_0793.jpg

Self portrait overlooking Beaver Creek Mountain from Red and White National Forest. I had just kicked up a nice 4x4 muley buck, and since he crashed off, I figured a picture couldn't hurt grin.gif

000_0014.jpg

This is the view from the "thinking spot" at camp. Not to bad of a place to "think".

000_0008.jpg

Another view and a little later in the day of the same mountain range, the Gore Range to be specific.

000_0011.jpg

The entire camp (2 sleeping tents on the left and the eating, drinking and Euchre tent on the right).

000_0003.jpg

This is the above mentioned Euchre tent. We had a cast iron stove that kept the tent hot enough to sit around in shorts and short-sleeved shirts in 10 degree weather outside.

000_0002.jpg

And here are the 2 sleeping tents. Both 12x12 Alaknak II's from Cabela's. With only 2 guys in each we lived like kings.

000_0001.jpg

I wish there were some pictures of smiling happy hunters, but unfortunetly, to get those pics you have to be with the happy hunter shortly after the kill, otherwise it is not a picture that follows the forum policy grin.gif Sorry to make it so long, and thanks for letting me tell my "short" story.

Thanks for sharing those, Nate.

Definitely reminds me of my "year of living dangerously," when I lived in CO at 10,000 feet and worked for a gold mine. What a wild year that was. I was, of course, a much younger man then. grin.gif

Wish I could get back to CO these days. There's just something about being that high up in the mountains that can't be found anywhere else. Thanks for taking me back.

Thanks guys! Ya jimalm, we ate really well......the best camp food we have had yet. Homemade sloppy "veni" joes, pheasant and dumplings, tacos, last years and this years backstraps and tenderloin, a brat schmorgashboard (wild rice, apple, regular.....in the hot tub of course), and smoked fish, cheese and summer sausage for snacks.