• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Close Up Barred Owl Shots. *pic added

Paul

Was on Johnson Park Trail today and this is what I found. He did not move other than to turn his head and follow me. I was almost able to touch him. He did not like the flash though, would blink and make a funny noise each time it went off. According to others on the forum this is a Barred owl. It was about 14-18" tall looked to be a couple of pounds in weight. Had a long set of tail feathers.

Taken with Canon XTi, Manforto Tripod, 17-85 IS USM, cable switch.

Perched on the Ground

owl.jpg

Sitting on a Stump

OwlWingOut.jpg

Perched on the Ground

owlsitting.jpg

sitting on the stump

owlforemail.jpg

I played with all pics in PS so let me know if you have any constructive critiscim. I am not so crazy about the exposure onthe 1st pic, so let me know what you think.

Yep, barred owl. Nice find, and that third image is an excellent environmental portrait that deserves a place on the wall. Very good work. grin.gif

One note: The fancy faux wood grain mat in that third image actually drew my eye away from the subject and toward the mat.

Paul, I have very narrow preferences when it comes to matting and framing. Not only of my own images, but of any images I own.

I always only prefer white or off-white mats and very simple square frames in either black (once in awhile silver), cream or cherry. My very strong opinion is that the mat and frame should focus your eye on the image or the art, not on the mat and frame. This is why, even though I've been approached by galleries that want to show my work but insist upon choosing the mat/frame themselves, I've always passed on those offers. I believe doing it my way is elegant, sometimes even stark, and puts the focus of attention squarely where it belongs.

If one wants a cooler look, a snow white mat and black or silver frame works wonderfully. For a warmer look, the off-white mat with a cream or cherry frame is the way I go. I never choose strongly colored mats because they steal from the image.

OK, that being said, this is only MY opinion. Many people don't agree, and matting/framing is as subjective as the appreciation of photographs themselves. You can mat and frame your image to suit ME, or to suit YOU, and they won't always be the same, that's for sure.

With this image, a white or very slightly (and warmer) off-white mat and a cherry frame would (again IMO) set the image off perfectly. The white will bring your eye into the image, and the cherry (or russet oak, for that matter) frame will complement the rusts in the leaves.