• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1997 Arctic Cat ZR580 thoughts

fishtrapgirl

Anyone have any experience with a 1997 Arctic Cat ZR580? I am looking at one and think I am going to buy it. I am feeling the need to waste more money on another toy. I haven't seen it yet, going to look at it this weekend. I have seen a ton of pictures, and talked to the owner. It's MINT. No scratches, no cracks, no problems ever, it's been babied and well maintained, it looks perfect to me. It has 2900 miles on it. Does anyone have one of these and what do you think? I'm not concerned about the asking price, I just want to know if these are good sleds. Please don't comment if you are going to tell me to buy a Polaris or other brand, its about personal preference and I am a Cat Girl all the way. Just looking for the good/bad about your experiences with this model sled. Thanks everyone!

fishtrapgirl

They are a little heavy but super tough...Great motor and plenty of power...Buddy had a 96 and beat the tar out of it with virtually no maintenance and it's still alive...I can't imagine anyone ever recommending a polaris.. grin.gif

This was the first full production year of the batteryless efi which has been a staple for Arctic Cat since then. Had that same system on a newer Cat and it always started on the second pull. The TSL was also introduced this same year which counteracts the sleds tendency to squat in the rear under acceleration which takes pressure off the front skis resulting in reduced handling.

One thing I would ask is when was the last time the Fox shocks were rebuilt. If they have never been, then that may be something you want to have done.

Some Specs:

Dry Weight- 484lbs

Ski Stance- 41 inches

Horsepower- 97

Rear Suspension- Fast Track Long Travel Suspension 13.5 inches, Fox Shocks

Front Suspension- Arctic Wishbone Suspension 7 inches, Fox Shocks

Brake- Wilwood Hydraulic

Picked up the sled this morning. It's beautiful and in perfect shape! I'm in love, I had to sit on it before I left for work tonight. Should be lots of fun this winter, providing we get snow. Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it!

fishtrapgirl