• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What got you started?

One of the things I like about this forum is that women with hunting/fishing interests can post and share here. I have four sisters and a handful of girlfriends who won't/can't/have no interest in fishing-especially ice fishing. My husband has always been a fishing fiend and got me into it. Who got you interested or was it always in your blood?

Hey Lisa,

I too like it that this forum provides an avenue for women to share their experiences and to learn from one another and maybe even a thing or two from the guys smile.gif Seriously, everyone on this site seems to be willing to provide help/advice and clearly have a passion for hunting, fishing and the great outdoors. The guys are especially thoughtful (and sometimes incredibly funny) in their posts.

I love to fish! I think it comes from being part of a family who loves to hunt and fish and I had the privledge of growing up in MN where the lakes and fish are plentiful. I'm also generally pretty lucky and its hard not to get hooked when you're catching fish.

I'm very interested in trout fishing, but seems like there aren't alot of trout spots within a couple of hours from Fargo. I'd also love to learn how to fly fish but envision it being more of a comedy of errors given my coordination.

Thanks for your question. It will be interesting to hear how other women have come to love hunting and fishing.

Great reply mnfishingal, I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, have only trout fished one time but can't help but get excited because of everyone else's enthusiasm on this forum and it makes me want to try new things. The same goes for spearing. I would at least like to sit in on that experience just to see what it's like!

Lisa

What got me started Ice Fishing? I went out with my hubby and his buddy one weekend. I asked my hubby if I could go by myself, once I got to fish alone and figured out what I needed to do to catch them I was hooked. You can't be squeamish about putting a minnow on or taking off the hook if your going alone. I did scream a couple of times when I had a big one in the hole and nothing to grab it with! Thank goodness I was alone those times. LOL. I out fished the guys, but then I had more time in too. I'll cook the fish, but I don't want to clean them. Thems the rules here.

I use an old golf glove on my left hand for hanging onto the fish to de-hook em. I seem to get really dry hands from handling the fish, and the fins slice up my hands the dryer they are. Whatever works is my motto. Still waiting on getting any ice fishing in. The ice is pretty slushy still. I see plenty of portables out though. I'm wondering if I'll ever get to have my big house out this season, it's not looking to good yet. Maybe by the first of the year we will be able to drive on the ice and plow a clearing, that is the only way my house is going to be set up. No chopping and burning to get it off the lake for this gal.

Oh man Diana-no judgement here on getting the job done! When I first started out I wouldn't touch anything ! I used neoprene gloves and forceps ALOT! I get really COLD hands easily and then they turn into claws! I like having my portable nice and toasty and I'm not embarrassed to say that! I'm sure we'll all get on the ice eventually this year. I'm pretty jealous you get to have your own permanent-I've got house envy! grin.gifgrin.gif

My first time ice fishing - last year - I'm with Scott ( friend and fishing buddy ) He tells me pitching a minnow head is the best bait.

He does the first one ....

I salvaged that minnow head as long as I could.... NO perch was going to swallow that head.... mad.gif

Well - finally lost it frown.gif

Thinking, .. I have to do this,.. really don't want to .... tongue.gif

I did ....

not quite as bad as I thought..

Still not really liking it much....

tongue.gif

That's what happened with the leech issue in the boat. Of course we were catching fish hand over fist on Winnie (well that's the way I remember all fishing trips ooo.gifsmirk.gif)and Mr. LT couldn't help me-had to touch 'em and now they're not that bad. I also know if you pinch off the head it leaves dangly things that look more natural than the Swiss Army chop off but I don't know...I'll let you guys know if I ever take the pinch plunge....ewwww frown.gif

Our cabin is across the road from the lake so we have about a block to get on it. So we get the lake view but not the taxes! The bad part is we don't catch alot out of it but I guess there's a crappie honey hole that everyone keeps telling us about!! Got to hit that more this winter. I also snowshoe across this lake and that's great exercise but kinda boring.

Lisa, I'm the same with the cold, got frost bite all over, can't take the cold on my hands or feet. Wish you could come and fish when we finally set the house out. It's such great fun. Sure hope my Mastiff Puppy likes it too, coz he is going, he usually likes being anywhere I am so I'm sure he will adjust. Can't wait to get out there. Diana

What got me started? Oh wow...what a great question. My passion for fishing started at a very young age with my father, fishing out of deep ponds in the good ol' state of Iowa. However as time passed and I grew up, I met a boy (as I'm sure many of you know from previous posts on here). Through the five years we spent together he showed me everything there was about the outdoors life as a fisherwoman and huntress. The boy and I didn't last, but the love for fishing stayed. I will admit though, to this day I will NOT touch a leech with my bare hands. I sort of have my own hook method for those nasty things. Ick.

I think it's really great how many of you had such an early start. My family DOES NOT FISH. In fact, most of my sisters/friends tease me! tongue.gif

My sister in law is my role model. She is just amazing. She can do absolutely anything on the ice or in the boat. She keeps her kids interested and she looks gorgeous doing it!!

I do remember reading your story earlier this year Jenna. The ball was in his court right? I'm sorry it didn't work out but there are other fish in the sea (sorry-bad pun-but appropriate for our forum eh?) Your signature line sure says it all! wink.gif

Lisa~

I think everyone under the sun on here read that post and from what I here, the moderators weren't too happy about it. Sorry boys, just needed some advice. Didn't intend to get so much of it. shocked.gif. Just a note though, no pity or "sorrys" necessary...let's just say I learned that certain character traits cannot be changed. Life is wonderful now! grin.gif

I think I'll stick to fishing instead of men for awhile. hahahaha