• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do kids still wreck fishhouses?

Do kids and drunks still distroy fishhouses or are they to "lazy" and just sit around and play video games?
I ask this because I would like to leave my hardside out overnight on WBL but I dont want it wrecked!!!!
P.S. Sorry, I know lots of kids and drunks that would never wreck other peoples stuff. I was just thinking vandilisum on the ice might not be as common.

------------------
Eat,sleep,fish.
Eat fish, wake up smellin fishy

ahhhh sad but true. I dont know if it was last year or the year before , but a kid had his shack broke into on walllake (SD). Who ever it was took off with his fishing gear. He ended up writing into the local paper and they printed his story. There is a local sporting goods store that ended up donating alot of equipment to the guy (after hearing about the it).I actually met the guy/kid a week later and he told me all about it. He told me that he always left his house out and didnt mind if strangers used it, but to clean up afterwords. Sometimes he'd find his house on the other side of the lake!!! I kind of felt bad for the kid , I know he didnt have the money to just go out and buy a portable as he worked at a sandwich shop here in town. Any ways , to make a long story short ..yes "goons" still like to rip people off. If I were you I'd throw a masterlock on your shack.

Yous is always takin a chance at leaving anything out onthe ice locked or not. If somebody wanted to gt in a shanty, they would, regardless if locked or not. Stupid question.

Hey Guy's we had our 1st permanent shack broke into in 1984. They rammed the corner with a vehicle and broke the wall off and stole everything needless to say it was a learning experience. I never put another one out until last year. We had a shack on Chisago last year and have on now also and ALWAYS leave it empty and unlocked. Well, we keep a couple chairs and a couple homemade rod holders in it but nothing we couldn't live without.
I would not recommend locking it since they (choose expletive) will break in if they think something is of value inside.

My thoughts,

Ferny.

Sadly yes, vandals are on the ice, a good friend Stu McKay just had his new shack hit on the Red in Canada. I pity the poor schmuck if he catches him! Can you say cut bait?

I know guys in high risk areas will not leave anything in their shack, they also leave them unlocked to limit break in damage.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame it all on kids, often when caught, they are adults. Thieves are thieves and vandals are idiots, they all suck.

If possible leave as little as passable in a shack and leave the windows clear so they can see this. Nothing to steal in sight limits their willingness to waist their time.

As sportsman we need to look out for the other guy too. Suspicious activity should be noted and reported. The guys who do this dump are NOT the usual sportsman, so they tend to stick out.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

That's why I like to keep mine out in front of my place where I can "reach out and touch somebody", or at least let them hear the bark of the 22-250 mag. from the upstairs patio!! Just kidding! I've never locked mine but there are a bunch of us who live on the same lake and we try very hard to watch the activity at the houses during the late night hours. Locks usually only keep the honest one's out! Be safe and good luck! Happy New Year!!

The worst I ever did was to stuff a frozen perch down a guys stove pipe. I'm still suffering pangs of remorse and guilt 30 yrs. later.

I guess I've been lucky as far as on-ice break ins are concerned. I once had my freshly stocked up (tax refund $$) tackle box and rod and reel stolen out of my pickup.
Major bummer for a nominally broke college kid who'd been out getting some first water crappies from shore (FOOD). I was livin pretty good in those days when I cooked up a mess of crispy fried crappies, along with a can of beans, and a can of corn and a slice or two of toasted bread.

Yup the scoundrals still help themselves to our equipment.

My Dad usually left his house unlocked,until stupid me said "Dad why dont you lock your house" He was having problems with some people using all his bait and leaving cigg butts and trash all in and around his house.
Anyway he put a lock on his brand new fish house to keep the RODENTS out,did not work,they took some kind of prybar and ripped the hasp off the door,and then took all of his rods and reels.
We talked to the game warden,he said nothing he could do about it unless we caught them in the act. Did not know it was OUR JOB to catch the thevies. But we swore if we ever catch them,we wont be telling no warden,wont be no need to.

Wish it were like England here, get caught stealing the first time,you lose a hand,get caught a second time Lose your HEAD. True Justice!!!!

For years I put a house on a back bay on Tonka. I was friends with a couple of guys who could see my house from their kitchen windows. The first time I drove my new truck out there I was fishing and the door was yanked open. One of the guys stuck his head in and said," Oh, its you, Bob, I didn't recognise the truck so I thought I'd check." Too bad the milfoil screwed the bay up or I'd still be there. Its great when guys get to know their fishhouse neighbors and look out for each other.