• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughs on buying a sled..

Kylersk

I'm looking to purchase a used sled this fall. Something under $1000. I went looking today at a couple of dealers and you really dont get much for that.

Anyways.. I friend has an 91 indy 500 w/ reverse for $600 and he said it's probably the cleanest sled I'll find for the money. I havnt seen it yet, but I believe him and think it'll probablly be good buy.

I also looked at a 92 indy 500 that went for $750 and it was in rough shape.

There are alot of sleds (on craigs list) in the mid 1990's going for about $800-1000 although I'm not sure of the condition.

My main use of this sled will be to ride around my area and use ice fishing...

So, my question is.. Since I'm leaning towards the 91 indy 500, would I regret not spending the extra $200-$400 on a mid 90's sled?

I'd appreciate any and all opinions.

Nothing wrong with the deal you found, and it would most likely be fine for a fishing and putzing around sled. But the more you intend to ride it for pleasure, the more you'll want a more current sled, and that usually equates to more money.

Suspensions, maintainance and durability have evolved a long way in the last 15 years and what was a great trail sled back then is like a buckboard compared to newer sleds. So if your intent is mostly fishing and a little running around, jump on the deal if it looks good. If you want to do more serious trail riding mixed with some fishing you may want to spend a bit more and move up 8 or 10 years or so.

There are so many sleds around for under $1000 that are in excellent shape! Do a little searching around through the classified ads and you will find the right one you are looking for. You should have no problems finding one that is in mint condition with hardly any miles on it for cheap. Don't be afraid of making someone any offer that may seem low...chances are they will snap at it just to get rid of it.

Justin

Well, the indy turned out to be a 400 instead of a 500. It was an awesome looking machine, but I think a little underpowered (at least for me). So, I ended up spending a bit more...

I think I may have put on 200 miles today running around looking at sleds.. but, I picked up a 97 Ski-doo Formula Z w/ reverse. It's in great shape and only had 1500 miles on it.