• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daytime Crappies

Crawlerman

Yup-- and I've observed that daytime crappies also seem to move more-- why a lot of people give up on them. Moving 15 feet on either side of your "hole" might make all the difference. I've also noticed they seem to change depth as well, so a flasher/finder of some sort is handy.

I know of a spot on Gull lake near Brainerd where the Crappies bite only during mid-day. It has sandy gravel bottom and it is 40 ft deep, water clarity is medium, they are right on the bottom, and it is not very close to a break or any type of structure. The way these fish were found was by Walleye fisherman. The reason they are there I think is minnows. We were finding Crappie minnows without hookmarks in them,in the Crappies stomachs. I have also caught Crappies in dark stained lakes during the day.

Well, from what I've read, crappies feed on zooplankton and when the sun is out (or daytime on cloudy days) the zooplankton rises from the bottom and the crappies follow those blooms, which rise through the water column.
This puts the crappies a lot higher in the water column than you might be used to fishing them. They may still be in deep water but just under the ice sometimes, othertimes they roam the basin following the zooplankton caught in the currents, so the crappies move a lot during the day...
...so I read, anyhoooooo. --AK

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 12-27-2002).]

I agree that different lakes will produce better during the day... However, you should be able to find some crappie during the day on most any body of water.

I have a spot that is a saddle area.. where 2 points meet at somewhat a 45 degree angle. The one point tops out in 10 feet and the other in about 7 feet... There is a saddle between the two points that is probably 35-40 yards long, at the nearest point. This area produces crappie all day long. It is best in the morning from 7am till about 9am and again right around sundown. But I can get crappie there all day.

Red lake has stained water and has a night bite and a lake that has been hot in the metro that has gin clear water has a hot day bite right now. Go figure. It's all trial and error. I think it has to do more with the forage like was mentioned. The peak periods in any of the lakes i have fished for crappies regardless of water clarity happen at dusk or dawn when the plankton and coped are most active.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

I forgot to state that it has alot to do with light penetration...Oh wait..I did say that.

URL is very shallow...So they get alot of light downt he mere 12 feet...

A clear lake with fish in 40 feet of water...well you get my point...

PCG I am still learning too

Anyone have any tips on where to look for Crappies during the day? Seems like I can usually catch them in the evening and early morning from the deep basin, but never during the day (with the exception of late ice). I've tried moving closer to the weedlines with no luck. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough or they just don't bite during the day?????

Thanks for the Help!!!
Quinn

You are fishing the wrong lakes...Seriously.

Crappies pattern a certain way on indiviual lakes. With minimal snow cover and maximum light penetration, most lakes, especially ones with clearer water, will see twighlight and nightime action for Crappies and Walleyes only.

As the year goes on, ice thickens, and snow cover increases, some of these lakes might be fishable for Crappies later in the morning and earlier in the afternoon, but may never see any action during the mid-day hours.

For daytime Crappies, find stained and dark water lakes, and keep to the rims of holes, and breaklines for suspended Crappies.

PCG

I have had great luck during the day, last year I went to a lake before work (10am-1pm) just about every day and nailed the crappies while the people who went out at night didn't get much. My secret was that I went to the holes (35-40ft) next to the humps that everyone was fishing at night and found the fish there. They did move a lot so I had to drill many holes but considering that I got almost 40 fish on average for each trip I think it was worth it. The fish also wouldn't touch minnows or anything fished slow, it seemed as though however you fished for them they would respond that way. Just my two cents. ><>Deadeye

Question for you all-

I am looking for a Metro-area lake to take the kids fishing on and keep them active. We would like to get out there about 7-8am and fish until about noon (tomorrow 12/29). I'd prefer to catch a few keeper panfish to fry up for lunch and maybe throw out a tip-up for a 'eye or northern.

A post tonight would be great!

Yesterday I fished on a small stained lake and had crappie action from 2:00pm until 5:00pm. They were active during the day but, as soon as night hit, it was the dead sea. I think crappies change their feeding patterns at night. The lake I was on has a max depth of 18 feet and I was catching fish in 11 feet. Most other lakes I have fished I will maybe get 2 small crappies mixed in with some gills or perch during the day. Then at night the crappie bite picks up. I can see how water clarity and light penetration plays a role in this. What I don't understand is the daily movements of the fish. Where and why do they move at night? If any on understands these day and night patterns please elaborate them.
Thanks,
Reefdawg

Was this mentioned?? In a LOT of lakes, crappie fishing during the day is not productive. Actually, MOST lakes seem to have that pattern... Even in muddy lakes, I can't remember hittin a good school of crappies. A lot of it has to do with the fish's vision, light, etc like everyone was saying. If MR crappie can see just as well at 5pm as he can noon, why not wait till 5pm when the little minnows n such go near blind. eh? Think like a crappie!

What forum is this? The Spring Open Water Forum?? Ooops...I must have posted in wrong forum eh? I guess I should find the Ice Fishing Main Forum to post about WINTER CRAPPIES (with ice above em ya know?) *points and laughs at D-Man* You would think we were all talking about ice fishing in the Ice Fishing Main Forum....naaa I guess SOME people are special and need this pointed out to them. *cough-D-Man-cough* grin.gif Speak of the devil? How was shields aye?

[This message has been edited by Ice Hole (edited 12-30-2002).]

I have lots better luck fishing crappies during the day in rivers and overall better luck lowlight or later in lakes. There are some lakes that break the mold, but for the most part holds true.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

You guys should be fishin walleyes while you still can. I don't want to hear any whining from you guys when its closed. Any ways, I think that its easier to predict where there are in lowlight periods. All lakes are different but I know a few lakes I've been on, the crappies are haulin *** all over the deep water and then settle into the "holes" for the lowlight hours. But if you find those babys schooled up during the day, you're in for a real treat.

Unless I am fishing ultra clear water conditions, a day bite is typically doable. But some cases I can't buy a fish until sunset.....

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-31-2002).]

Well up to about 1991 you could go out on any bay on Minnetonka and find a deep hole just off of some deeper structure Point dropoff sunken island and find crappies suspended 24 -28 feet in like 40 feet of water and catch them..all day long... better activity 7:30 -10:30 in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Northerns and Walleyes would suspend with them also. now there isn't a bay that I can think of that had this that you even mark fish schooled up like this...anyone know why? We used to catch both white and black crappie in these areas.. It surely wasn't overfishing... the spot was just as good in the later years and can remember these area supporting 50-60 houses in the winter when I was a kid .. now you can't find a spot that has any houses over these deepwater holes..

Michael