• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP

harvey lee

I have a Cat 400, 4x4 and it has run great for years and now I have a problem. Seems when I start the wheeler it idles fine. Now, when I shift it into gear, I have to give it some gas before it goes. It will not idle in gear and when I shift intio gear there is a little klunk noise. Once I give it gas as I shift it will go but I have to give it enough gas that the wheels spin some. Shifting gears after that seems to be no problem. Is it something in the tranny???

Maybe time to trade up to a new Cat???!!! laugh.gif I'd have to guess something in the carb, but I am by no means knowledgeable about these things. it seems as though it may be having trouble under load...When I have problems, I usually start with the carb, its the easiest to work with. Yamaha makes a product call 'ring free' that is supposed to be excellent in your gas, keeps the carb clean and keeps other components in good working order.

The 4-wheeler had a new carb kit, vaves adjusted and a total check up 10 miles ago and was running just fine. There is a klunk when you shift inti gear and you must have the throttle down a bit so it wont kill. I was thinking more in the line of the manual tranny but I dont know. I guess a piece of dirt could have got into a jet but I cannot understand why the klunk noise. Its like there is a little play in the gear and it slaps or something. I know about zero in regards to 4-wheelrs but can work on cars fine.