• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hobie kayaks? Who has one, has used one?

I am very curious about the hobie mirage drive kayaks. I think that they would make excellent fishing boats. But they are expensive.

So give me some feedback if you have have one, or if you have used one before.

I know there are a couple places around that rent them, so I do plan to try them out before I buy them, but I do always appreciate real world owners testimonials.

So let me know. Thanks.

I am fairly active on their forums as well. The thing is that most of them are salt water fisherman, and I was just more curious how they work in this neck of the woods. Lets face it the conditions we have here are considerably different than tarpon fishing in the gulf of Mexico.

Thanks for the input though. I encourage anyone interested in kayak fishing to check out their site.

My brother-in-law's parents have one and they absolutely love it. I took it out myself on one occasion and fell in love with it. You'd be surprised at how fast you can move along. Overall, I thought it seemed to be very stable. I would love to have one myself but I think they are pretty costly. I believe they said they paid over $1500 for theirs.

Yeah thats about what they run. Comparable to a Wenonah lightweight canoe.

Glad to hear you liked it. I am primarily intersted in having somehting that I can set up for fishing, cover some water with, and be able to hold my rod more than my paddle. That sounded bad, but you know what I mean.

We have 2 of the Hobies...They are outstanding...they are stable and convenient when you are on the water...we use one of them for fishing...it has room for a tackle box etc. we are located on a chain of lakes, we can enjoy early morning fishing but when the big boats get out there it makes it hard to keep the nose into the wake....they are agile and fast

Bakerman,

Which one do you have. I am looking at the outback. Primarily looking to use it around the city here on the variety of lakes, on small rivers, as well as on larger chain of lakes in your neck of the woods.

Glad to hear that you like your so much.

I have the outback...it is called the SUV by Hobie....It is 2 feet longer than the Sport but it is still light enough to handle easily....The 4 rod holders are nice but I am a person that likes to hold my fishing rod....I try to keep the outback as light as I can so I carry only a tackle box and 2 rods...works great and you can get into some great back areas where the bass are hiding...

No issues, you can use both the paddles and the pedals to pick up speed into wind and waves....handles great...only issue I have ever had was a large boat came too close to me and almost swamped the kayak with its wake, but it handled the wave well...I got wet but stayed afloat...

Any hobie dealers in Minnesota? the only one I have found doing a quick search is hi tiempo in white bear lake. Looking for any place in or near duluth.

I spent a lot of time reading through the hobie web site and they look/sound like a great fishing vessel to get places you can't launch a boat. I'm very interesting in trying one out.