• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does anyone else bowhunt out here? I have hunted a ranch near Sturgis for years. We bowhunt for deer and also turkey hunt and fish trout. Seldom do we ever see other hunters.

It is the best week of the year for me. Nothing like bringing all your toys along on a hunt.

Hey guys I'm from central minn and planning on bow hunting the black hills for the first time this fall.I was hoping you could give me some info. What do I need to do for an archery tag, apply or can you purchase over the counter? And some one suggested maybe a turkey tag too. I Read some where first time achery hunters in s,dakota need a bow hunting certificate,or class???/

In SD, all you need to show is proof of having a license from another state. You can purchase your tag on-line, or ask for an application to be sent to you. Only takes about a week turn around to get your tag in the mail.

Turkey tags are lottery. Black hill tags are harder to get, and are only good for one bird. Cost last year was $75. Areas mostly north of US Hwy 90 are prairie units. These tags are often under subscribed. Lottery begins in July and any left over tags go on sale in Aug or Sept. You can buy as many as you want. These are good for two birds and are $85.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Spear foot I grew up in the black hills a good time to go bow hunting is during elk season the elk hunters will keep the deer moving and also they arent very spooky it is like they know the hunters are after the elk. there are some good areas around deadwood lake also find a black hills map there is a major forest service road called victoria lakes road it starts south of pactola lake there are also good deer in that area as well Dont expect to see monsters but a hills buck is a might tough critter to kill.