• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stability vs. maneuverability

I have been looking at getting a canoe for a while. I was thinking one with the flat back but I kind of decided against that since I already have a little 12ft boat with a 3hp.

Mainly this canoe is going to be used for river fishing. Also it might be used for a bwca fishing trip. guess what im looking for is a good balance between the stability and maneuverability.

It will be used by two people pretty much all of the time and the main purpose is to be fished out of. Im not sure what brand or what size to go with. When need be I guess I would like to be be able to pack the equipment in if i went on a week adventure.

Im willing to spend up and even a little over a grand if needed. I just want something nice thats stable and can get my way through the trees somewhat easy. I guess I would really choose the stability over maneuvering if that matters.

Its kind of a loaded question since many of the deciding factors depend on exactly what you're willing to have and not have.

Personally I prefer a longer boat for straight tracking. I also like a bit of a wider boat with more freeboard for weight capacity. Keelless for flatwater turning and something with comfortable seats.

My biggest decider would be the weight of the boat if you plan on doing BWCA. I wouldn't use a boat over 60lbs, but thats just me. Many people travel the BWCA with boats over 70lbs. I still have one that is close to 80lbs. I used it 3yrs in the BWCA before we started renting lighter boats and finally decided to buy one.

I would look for something either Royalex, composite or fiberglass that weighs 50-60lbs. It should be at least 16ft long. Test a few out and find one that feels stable to you. Bring a couple backpacks or duffles to test its feel while loaded. I like Old Town, Mad River, Souris River (it better be used $$$) and some models of Wenonah.

If river fishing and stability are your main focus, I'd positivly go Royalex. Old town Penobscot is a good 16 ft boat. A little heavier than I'd want for a primary Bdub canoe, but you have to compromise somewhere. Royalex is good, tough stuff, and not as pricey as kevlar.

If you are going to use this boat a lot for fishing rivers then something like royalex is a must. Plastic bounces off of rocks, which if you are on a river small enough to need a canoe you are going to hit. Aluminum sticks, kevlar breaks, but plastic bounces and comes back for more. Also stay away from fiberglass.

I've spent far too much time working outdoor retail to stay out of this one. I've also spent far too many days in the BW and Quetico to keep my experience to myself.

Your hands down best option for both is Penobscot by Old Town. Aluminum is too heavy for longer portages. Kevlar and carbon fiber lacks the durability for river running. I run a Penobscot 17 which weighs in at 68lbs, not bad. I have taken it 9 days at a time on portages over 1km.

There was a deal with Old Town and the royalex manufacture back a few years. This allows Old Town to give you the best priced royalex boat,

Drop me a message and I'll answer all your questions.

I like the old town camper for rivers and the bwca. It has a flatter bottom and is more stable than the penobscot. It works great for fishing in. Very stable, weights the same, and packs in alot of gear. The only thing that worries me is going across a big lake on a windy day. Good luck with the new purchase!

There has been alot of good choices given. I would go out this spring and paddle as many of the canoes you like as possible and choose the one that feels and handles the best for you. Alot of the canoes that will work well for river and lake fishing are to heavy for longer BWCA and Quetico trips but you can always rent a canoe from a outfitter for those trips.

I agree that your best bet is to try as many as possible. REI and Midwest Mountaineering each have open water demo days for you to try the boats they sell. There is also a big weekend in Ely where the outfitters put their boats on the water for people to try. This is great for you to get an idea of how the different hull designs perform.