• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Images from three days on the Pow Wow Trail

Well, gang, it sucked and it didn't suck.

It didn't suck because three days alone in the wilderness backpacking HAS to be good no matter what, as long as you get out alive and in good health (I did). grin.gif

It did suck because it rained the whole first day and some on the second and the third days as well. And, well, rain can be a hardship, especially when backpack/gear waterproofing measures fail and your 65 lb pack becomes an 80 lb water saturated pack (that's what it weighed when I got home.) Not to mention the Pow Wow is choked with alder and balsam, and even a heavy dew means those branches reaching out to you will give you a VERY wet handshake or 10,000. frown.gif

Anyway, I made it to Superstition Lake the first day through the rain, a hike of 10 to 12 miles, depending on how you measure trail miles, and pitched a wet camp about 4:30 p.m. Luckily, the tent was waterproof and the holofill sleeping bag insulated perfectly while still damp.

On day two, which dawned beautifully and clear, I strung clotheslines, hung all my wet gear, and took my cameras and a bit of food in a small daypack and headed up the trail about four more miles, getting back to camp in the afternoon and realizing that the day spent drying out all my stuff meant I wasn't going to make the full 30-mile loop because I had allowed myself only so much time. In the end, I logged at least 30 miles with exploring as far as Path Lake, though.

I was serenaded by wolves as soon as I set up camp that first day, and every time I woke up during the night they were howling, never more than half a mile from camp and sometimes within a couple hundred yards. Not a bad lullaby, if I do say so. That alone made the trip worthwhile. grin.gif

I was footsore when I got home but it was so worth it. I'll do it again in a heartbeat. Only this time I'll use drybags inside the pack instead of garbage bags (which tore badly) to make sure the old pack doesn't get REALLY heavy. Man, I'll tell you, on the 12-mile walk out I was hating that darn heavy pig every time I had to hitch it higher on my back. grin.gif

Didn't see any moose, though, and the Pow Wow is supposed to be moose central. Lots of spruce grouse and boreal chickadees, which I didn't get a chance to photograph, but I'll be back for a day trip or two yet this fall.

Enjoy, everyone. I did. These are in no particular order, and range from within a short distance of the trailhead to Path Lake and all points in between. Any exposures too long for handheld involved lodging the camera against rocks/sticks/moss, etc., and using the timer. All were shot with the Canon Digital Rebel XT.

"Yellow leaves, root-beer water"

Canon 17-40L at 34mm, iso100, .8 sec at f22, Hoya circular polarizer

water-leaves.jpg

"Campsite company for breakfast"

Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso100, 1/100 at f8, handheld

squirrel-mushroom.jpg

"On the migratory trail (Harris's sparrow)

Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso400, 1/100 at f7.1, handheld

Harris.jpg

"On the way out"

Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso200 1/100 at f7.1, handheld

maple-and-trunk.jpg

"Count the mosses"

Canon 17-40L at 17mm, iso200, .5 sec at f11

mosses.jpg

"Water ready to boil, Superstition Lake"

Canon 17-40L at 23mm, iso400, 1/200 at f11, fill flash

campsite.jpg

"Water passes solid rock"

I'd wanted a longer exposure, but it was too light for that, so I couldn't get the water as cottony as I'd hoped

Canon 100-400L IS at 100mm, iso100, 1 sec at f32, Hoya circular polarizer

root-beer-blur.jpg

"Mist, and Superstition Lake"

And finally, a sunrise image the really begs to be displayed much larger than I can here

Canon 17-40L at 17mm, iso100, 1/80 at f8

superstition-sunrise.jpg

Welcome back Steve. Glad to hear that you made it out alright. You didn't mention bears so I hope that means that pepper spray stayed in your pack.

I also like #1. Although the last one is great also. I'm a sucker for the blurry water.

Mike

Thanks guys.

Mike, the pepper spray never stays in my pack when I'm out on the trail. It's always in an outer pants/coat pocket and at the ready. If it ain't ready, it ain't got value. No bears, though. No bear sign, either, and of course I suspended my vittles up over a tree branch each night. No sense tempting fate. grin.gif

Thanks guys.

XT, I WAS a pretty sore guy when I got out. Well worth it, though.

Ken, I only heard one ruffie on the trail, about two miles in, and saw a few on the road on the way home. Lots more spruce grouse, both on the roads and the trail.