• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rechargeable batteries

Seems like when I put a full charge on rechargeables and don't use the camera for a while the batteries are near dead. These are newer batteries that have not been charged more than a few times. Do they run down that fast just sitting?

Anyone have any better ideas for AA's that last a while?

Mine do that to some degree too, though not as bad as it sounds like yours are. I use rechargeable AAs for GPS and small flashlights, as well as my camera flash.

Batteries that are allowed to go flat and left that way for awhile before recharging often aren't able to accept a full charge any longer. So it's important to charge them and keep them charged up. When I charge them and then don't use them for a few weeks (I have quite a few backup camera batteries and plenty of AAs), I make sure to put a full charge on all of them again, doing that every few weeks.

If they go from full charge to darn near flat without being used over the course of a couple weeks, it's time to recycle them and buy new ones, even though they aren't very old. Poor batteries aren't worth it. However, if you put them in the camera and leave the camera on (even a camera that goes to sleep), they will discharge slowly, and a camera sleeping in its case can sometimes get bumped or wedged in such a way that the shutter is pressed part way on and stays that way. Best bet for batteries in the camera is to leave the camera in the "off" position until you need to use it. Of course, maybe you're doing that already.

Also, when you buy new rechargeables and put them on the charger as soon as you get home, it's helpful to keep them charging an hour or two longer than the full-charge light indicates. That makes sure they've got a totally full charge for their first charge, which will help make sure they can take the full charge after that.