• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishouse weight

waterwolff

Wow is about all I can say I have a retractable wheel fishouse 6'6"x12' and just for the heck of it I thought I'd weigh it well I'm thinking 1500 to 1800 pounds it ends up scaling out at 2640 it just about floored me. Now I kinda wonder how much ice I should have under it to be safe. The combined weight of the house and pickup with a wheeler in back and gear for two guys was a heart stopping 8940 pounds kinda of makes you think twice before heading out onto the lake.
Mike

I just got done with my 6X10 on skis. I bet I spent 100 hours between last March and September engineering the thing, with weight a primary concern. The walls are 0.007" aluminum bonded to 1" blueboard, with 1 3/8" square studs on 23" centers. The roof is similar, with 0.020 aluminum for extra strength. I weighed it without the heater and it was just over 400 lbs. I was disappointed, as I thought it would be closer to 300. I guess that maybe that weight isn't so bad after all.
I really like the idea of retractable wheels on a shack, especially if you are moving from lake to lake. Unfortunately, where I live in Michigan there is seldom more than a foot of good ice, so I don't drive. Ahhh, to live in Minnesota again...

------------------
Wables

Fear not fellas! Our fish house (at Mille Lacs) is a 10'X 20', 6 bunk, bathroom, 2 100 gallon (propane)tank monster which weighs in at just under 3-tons! Then we'll park our vehicles, a Dodge Ram (V-10), a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Ford F-150 and a Ford Ranger XLT just outside the door! (well ,not me, I park my truck 20 to 25 yards away!)
Talk about stressing the ice!!
I truly am amazed at the strength of ice. Of course our fish house is one of the last ones out, but I wonder if you could land a DC-10 on Mille Lacs in January? I guess the problem would be getting it to stop!

fisherman mines a doctored up King Crow. I stripped the inside and added cabinets an extra bunk also added a range cook-top increased the size of one bed so I did add quite abit of weight I don't know what it's weight was straight from the factory. And the weight posted was loaded, 2 batteries 2 full propane tanks, buddies portable, gear for two guys, 5 gallons water. I'm guessing there must be about 500 pound of additional weight above the fishouse standalone weight so the house alone is probably around 2000 pounds which is still quite alot

Hey waterwolff, where did you get yours weighed at? I have wanted to get mine weighed but I haven't. I have an 8x16 and I figured that without any extra gear mine would weigh around 1600-1800#,...I have had it out on 7" of ice. I really wanna get this stuff weighed though.

But on another note,..do some PSI calculations once,..compare how many PSI a truck puts on the ice to how much your average male does. Might shock a guy to actually see these numbers. For all you women out there don't go walking on the ice with spike high heels, your bound to punch right through!

AKOTZ,..nice to see you on here man...here is my e-mail:
[email protected]

You should think about fishing the LETS events, either/both the Ice Leaders or the Summer series. Take a look in the events forum.

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 12-06-2002).]

Hey Chris,

Anytime you want to weigh your fish house, let me know, you can bring it to the scales at my terminal in Roseville. I'll check with my CCM on Monday, but it shouldn't be a problem...especially on a Saturday...

waterwolff,
i just bought a king crow also they say they can go out on 5.5 inches of ice. I didnt think it weighed that much. Not worried about it though. How much ice do you like before you bring it out?

Good fishin'

Andy, sounds good. Maybe sometime after season this year. As I won't have time to get it there on a weekend now. I will be home Friday and heading up to the lake. Are you going to be up there this weekend? Sounds like things are in good shape and you should be able to even get the big house out this weekend.