• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha for a Polaris

MIKE IN lINO III

on the surface it looks good, but you know the saying..... if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. take a good hard look at the polaris to see what's wrong with it. Hard to beat a Yamaha. That said, I just traded my Yamaha big bear 400 in on a new cat laugh.gif wanted to stick with Yamaha, but like the looks of the cat better, and for what I do with the machine, the cat fits the bill perfectly!! but, straight up 400 for a 700 is hard to beat, even if you need to put a little extra into it initially!!

Bigger isnt always better for everyone.

I have the 03 kodiak 450 and its been as good as any machine can be.. lots of miles on it and no issues at all. The last thing I would do is trade it away for someone else's problem. I am very happy with what I have, I dont have interest in changing.

There is a reason they want to get rid of that machine.

My Aunt bought it to use for ice fishing at her cabin, it's a little too much for a 65 year old lady.

I ran it yesterday and everything seems to be fine with the machine. I guess I'm a little leery of the Polaris name.

I've never had a problem with the Kodiak, but I could use a little more power for the fish house and pulling the docks out.

Mike

If it was your aunts, and you know the machine, I'd go for it!!! I'd say the Yamaha will be good for years to come, but for the chance at more power at no price, if I had the same offer when I had my Yamaha, I probably would have taken it!!

If you don't get it, I'll buy my big bear 400 back and trader her!!!! laugh.gif

The popo will do everything better than the Kodiak, except for one thing...it is about 200 lbs. heavier. This may help you alot though in pulling your fish house. Alot of poeple are brand loyal and that's not a good idea. Like I tell the life-long Honda owners, you don't know what you are missing if you never rode anything else.

Quote:

The popo will do everything better than the Kodiak, except for one thing...it is about 200 lbs. heavier. This may help you alot though in pulling your fish house. Alot of poeple are brand loyal and that's not a good idea. Like I tell the life-long Honda owners, you don't know what you are missing if you never rode anything else.

OK Roofer, what is that supposed to mean? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Notice I said, life-long. You knew what you wanted and knew what you were getting.cool.gif Everyone has their own riding style and riding areas.

There are some people that say Honda just for the name and don't know what else is out there. I have a Kawi, and I think it's the best for me, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

I noticed that grin.gif. Just thought I'd raz ya a little. Personally, Honda could stand to add a little grunt in their utility lineup. The new 700XX looks to be an interesting machine, but it will take the masses some time to warm up to the styling.

I'm not sure why the manufacturers are so intent in copying certain aspects of the competitors machines i.e. the 686cc displacement of the new 700XX, which is the same as the Raptor 700. They're gambling with the IRS rear end vs. going with a SRA. I don't think it will take long before the mud-bucket front end of the 700XX is gone or an OEM will offer something to fill it in to make it more appealing.

You're also correct with, I bought what I wanted, which was something that was 4-wheel drive (no 3 1/2 wheel drive jokes needed, I've heard those already) and a great trail machine. As I said in our other thread, I had a blast on the Yellow Birch Trail up at Nemadji. But I have to admit that I miss the DS 650 for that style of riding. Maybe some day there will be a new DS 450 or the new KTM 525 in my garage.

Either way, I like the Rincon. It's a great machine for what it is. Just looking forward to some snow and frozen lakes.