• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waders and SOT Kayaks

Now that it is cooling down I have been thinking about getting some waders for my sit-on-top kayak. I'd probably only use them when the weather is cold. Do any of you have a favorite type or brand? Neoprene or breatheable? Stocking foot or with the built in shoe?

I picked up a pair of gortex waders at a Cabela's tent sale, they had been returned because the customer said that they leaked. I have bought five pairs like this at these sales for myself and my friends and only one pair leaked at the seam. Little seam sealer and voila $180 waders for $5-$10. I like the stocking foot waders for this. You can get a tighter fit around the ankle which helps to keep the wader from pulling your socks off. I have also used my neoprene bootfoot waders when hunting from my kayak, I like them for the warmth and extra durability. But, for overall comfort I prefer the breathable stocking foot wader. If its cold just put on some long underwear and I would spend a little more on the boot if you plan on doing much walking. I picked up the Cabela's ultralight wading boot in the bargain cave and it is the most comfortable boot that is reasonably priced that I have found. You could also wear a pair of sandals that strap on, or if your really careful about what you step on you could just go without a shoe. Good luck in your search.

Blue did you ever get any waders?? I've been tryin to get a brand name for my disposable waders!! Think they cost 8-10 bucks got 2 pair 10 years ago,there vinyl loose fitting no boots just feet (vinyl)I use tennis shoes there comfy, warm, loose,watertight.Got 2 pair cause I thought they'd tear and only wanted em for canoe kayak nothin else.I'll keep lookin for tags.

Hi Sparcebag,

I had replied to your post about vinyl waders a day or so ago, but must have done something wrong as the post did not show up. Thirty or so years ago I bought some waders like you describe at Sears. They'd probably be fine for what I need, since I'd only use them in the kayak when it is cold. Do you know where you purchased your waders?

I think it was Pamida??Been lookin for them,the ole girl has a habit a puttin my things away and not remembering where,like I said I've 2 pair if and when I find them if ya'd like I'd be willing to part with one,If you cant find anything.

If you are wearing a PFD it will not matter that your waders will fill up with water, and my neoprene waders are still quite buoyant even when full of water. Also, most kayaks that are designed for fishing are extremely stable. There is still a risk of tipping over but it usually comes from taking unnecessary risks.

last year I was in my kayak with my neoprene waders and a paddling jacket with a drawstring on the bottom. I was getting too hot so I jumped in the cold water and was able to get back on my yak without getting a drop of water in my waders. I didnt get wet til the third time when I stayed in the water longer, but the waders helped float along with the pfd, there was now way I would drown unless I got hit by a boat and was knocked out or somthing! Also neoprene waders if they are pretty tight fitting work like a wetsuit. when I get to shore and emptyed the water out of them it felt almost hot compared to the lake water temps.