• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funny story of duck watchers

BoxMN

My first time posting in the birder area, hope this is on topic.

A couple years ago my hunting buddy and I were at our normal duck hunting area, near Lake Christina, normal canvasback staging area. We drove around the lake to look at ducks and came across a couple looking at the ducks (huge flocks, coot, redheads, mallards, cans, ringnecks, etc.) with some a spotting scope, and my buddy is a gabber, to say the least.

He got out and started yapping, and the guy says, "here look out there and solve an argument... my wife says those ducks with the white are canvasbacks, and I think they are redheads..." Well, Jim looks through the scope and says, "well, your wife is right that they are canvasbacks... but they are decoys!" hahaha

They had a good chuckle, and I think were a bit embarrassed, but I guess it shows how a little wind and some good decoys can really look the part. smile.gif

We are bigtime duck watchers, especially starting about now and going until ice up. i love seeing pintails, not often in MN, so they are cool. I also love watching how diving ducks fly in those streamlined flocks.

Great story, Box. And good to see you over here in birdland. It's just the right place for your story. I've been a bird watcher for more than 30 years and have hunted ducks, as well. I love to do both, and that was a funny story.

XT, I reckon it stands for White Bear Lake.

Ahhh, sorry, yeah, I am in White Bear Lake. I didn't even think West Battle till you mentioned it, but it would make sense.

I will probably be asking you folks for advice on a simple yet good camera to start taking better figitial photos than my little old Canon PowerShot can do. Some of the photos you all take are incredible!